Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

What type of fastener can i use to attach a sliding mirror door to a wall

Old 01-03-17, 03:40 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to find what I need. I have a sliding mirror closet door that I want to attach to a wall to use as a gym mirror. The weight of the mirror will be resting on the floor. Right now it's on a slight angle without falling but I would like for it to be flush to the wall of coarse doing that without support the mirror does not stay in place. I need to find a way to attach the top of the door to the wall to prevent this. There is really no weight I can hold the top of door with my finger being that the bottom is on the floor. The mirror door is about 1 inch thick. There is no way to drill a hole though it being that its a mirror. I was thinking of some type of clamp that will hold the door at the top and screw into the wall. but unable to find such a animal. anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-17, 03:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Can you post a picture of the front and back of the door? And the location where you plan on placing it.

Old 01-03-17, 03:53 PM
Received 364 Votes on 340 Posts
Sounds like what you need is a type of bracket vs a fastener.

A conventional mirror bracket is "J" shaped where the bottom is fixed solid to hold the mirror but the top is loose so it can slide down to capture the top edge.

I'd say you need to try to find something similar, maybe an aluminum extrusion, or have something fabricated.

Take a look at the Mcmaster Carr site, they have almost everything!

https://www.mcmaster.com/

Old 01-03-17, 04:59 PM
R
Pics [attach]75234[/attachName:  IMG_0078[1].jpg
Views: 362
Size:  26.5 KBName:  IMG_0080[1].jpg
Views: 319
Size:  17.5 KB

Old 01-03-17, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 665 Votes on 615 Posts
Since your mirror is in a frame that is 1" thick, i would probably be inclined to use the j-channel style of mirror mount in a slightly unconventional way.

If you are fine with it sitting on the floor, affix a length of the j to the wall near the top of the mirror (right side up), and an interlocking piece of j onto the back of the mirror (upside down). The two pieces will interlock and act like a hook to keep the top of the mirror against the wall.

You could also make something out of wood for it to sit in (a frame) and then mount that to the wall... but something hidden behind would provide a cleaner look.

Old 01-03-17, 06:15 PM
That's why I wanted to see the back of the door. If you can, you may expound on Brant's idea of the cleats and use a tighter type. Hangman 30 in. Professional French Cleat-CBH-30 - The Home Depot

Old 01-03-17, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like it was your idea, I just preempted you.

Old 01-03-17, 06:26 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Google mirror supports. There are hundreds of possibilities. Your main concern is the thickness of the mirror/door. You may want to consult are glass company repair shop. Here in the Western New York area we have a glass shop that does all kinds of glass work including custom sizes, mirrors, windows, carving, etchings and anything to do with glass.

Old 01-03-17, 07:43 PM
R
That's why I wanted to see the back of the door. If you can, you may expound on Brant's idea of the cleats and use a tighter type. Hangman 30 in. Professional French Cleat-CBH-30 - The Home Depot
. I don't think the hangman cleats would work without some modifications. The mirror is not that thick but frame around it is 1 inch thick therefore I believe I would have to glue a 1 inch piece of wood to the back of the mirror and screw the hangman cleat on to the wood. I am not sure if a piece of wood would securely glue on but I will keep that in mind if the j-channel mount upside down doesn't workout.Name:  IMG_0079[1].jpg
Views: 169
Size:  13.0 KB

Old 01-03-17, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, that's what I pictured... just like a Stanley mirrored bypass door. Remove the metal clips on the corners, which are for the sliding part of the door so that it will lay flat on the wall. Then silicone a 1x4 onto the back. Once its cured you can mount that interlocking j-channel or those nice clips that Larry linked to. You could even hook it with d-rings and picture wire or picture hooks if you wanted.

Another idea might be to slot the bottom edge of the 1x4 that you silicone to the mirror and glue a few biscuits in it. Then slot the top edge of another 1x4, and hang it on the wall to act as a french cleat. When you hang the mirror on the wall, the biscuits will interlock the 1x4's together.

Old 01-03-17, 08:23 PM
R
What about these mirror clips(if I can find them in about 1") Put them on the top of mirror and screw in the wallName:  mirror clip.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  28.6 KB

Old 01-04-17, 03:07 AM
If you remove the corner stuff, it might work, but I would rather spread the weight wider. Do as Brand suggested with the 1x4 and use silicone or Fuze it to glue it to the back of the mirror and attach the cleats.