Crown moulding help

Old 01-04-17, 12:14 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crown moulding help

Hi all,

I am trying to cut 45-45 crown moulding and I have been having a lot of trouble cutting an inside corner.

I'm using a compound miter saw to do this, and have been following this guide to cut the molding flat under the section "HOW TO CUT CROWN MOLDING: COMPOUND METHOD (FLAT)":How to Cut Crown Molding | Crown Molding Angles | DEWALT

I realize that the article has its angles set for a 38-52 piece - I have my machine set at bevel 30* and miter at 35.3*.

This is what I am getting, which I have pressed flush against a 90 degree corner in the room:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75269[/ATTACH]

And these are the pieces laid flat if it helps to debug what I am doing wrong:

I realize that I could just prop up the molding at 45 degrees, but it is frustrating me to no end that I can't get it to cut properly flat.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-17, 01:09 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I usually cope my inside corners. Run one piece square into the corner no cut. Then do the upside down and backwards against the fence pretending that the fence is the wall and the saw deck is the ceiling. Back cut at 45 degrees and then cope out the exposed wood. When coping, hold the piece in the air at the angle it will lay against the other piece to carve out enough of the back to clear the detail on the other piece. Much easier IMO.

Old 01-04-17, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
I agree cutting in position (upside down and backwards) is easier for my peanut brain to understand. I never cut flat.

Since that's what you are trying to do, however, do you have the crown moulding sitting the right way on the saw? Flip it 180 degrees (end for end) and try it agsin.

Old 01-04-17, 02:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Here's the angles I use. I also cut right and left "templates" (inside and out) prior to installing the crown. I use them to make sure the room is square. I can adjust the final cut accordingly.

Name:  miter saw settings.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  34.1 KB

Old 01-04-17, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
But his spring angle is 45, Larry. I think he has the right numbers, maybe just the wrong side against the fence?

Old 01-04-17, 03:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Ah, yep. Forgot about the spring. I do believe reversing it in the saw may help.

Old 01-04-17, 03:55 PM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
I had to go check my scrap pile because I dont ever recall seeing crown that was not 45 degrees, sure enough there was one that was someting other than 45.

Daniel, check the flats on the back of the trim to see if they fit 45/45 or 38/52!!! I'll bet your angles are off!

Old 01-06-17, 11:04 AM
D
I checked with the manufacturer and the molding itself and it is a 45-45 piece. I gave up on trying to cut it flat and cut it angled on the saw and it works fine!

Thanks guys.

Old 01-06-17, 12:29 PM
Glad you figured it out. The first time I cut crown I had a scrap pile taller than me.

Upside down and backwards can let you make furniture quality cuts, especially with real wood and gluing the joints.

I always try to cut an inside corner at the left of the saw table and then make your outside corner cut on the right side of the table.

It's easier to shave a little off the right if needed or to see your cut mark.

Old 01-06-17, 03:11 PM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
Hang in there, with every job it gets easier and becomes more of a no brainer.

This is our 6th house we've built and I have some very elaborate crown moldings that have up to 5 different boards.

Hopefully will get another house or two in before it gets too difficult!