Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

How do I mount a wood camera rig to a ceiling discretely so it's removable?

How do I mount a wood camera rig to a ceiling discretely so it's removable?

Old 01-31-17, 01:56 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How do I mount a wood camera rig to a ceiling discretely so it's removable?

I need a way to mount a removable wood rig to my ceiling. I want to take it down when I'm not using it but not have something too ugly left on the ceiling when the rig is not there.

The rig is two pieces of wood. One flush against the ceiling and another attached to it at 90 degrees dropping straight down for 5 inches on which to mount the camera.

Here's a drawing. The method to mount it is just an idea because I'm not experienced at this. Alternate ideas welcomed.

Name:  SdcaxjZ.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  40.6 KB

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thank you for any advice!!!

Last edited by ray2047; 01-31-17 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Add image.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-17, 05:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Since this won't be a permanent installation, ugly won't matter, I guess. What you propose will work in design. The only thing I would change would be the wooden brace in the attic. Attach it firmly to the adjoining ceiling joists, so it will be somewhat permanent. Drill 3/8" holes (2) through as you have described for the threaded rod, but instead install tee nuts (Everbilt 3/8 in. -16 tpi Coarse Zinc-Plated Steel Tee Nut (2 per Pack)-802321 - The Home Depot) in the top of the 2x4. This will allow you to run your 4 1/2" bolt through the bottom 2x4, sheetrock, and top 2x4 for a secure fit. Removing the bolts won't affect the nuts. Plug the holes as desired. You may need a 1/2" plug and you can wallow out the sheetrock hole for a tight fit. Everbilt 1/2 in. White Nylon Locking Hole Plug (2-Piece)-808098 - The Home Depot

Old 01-31-17, 05:07 AM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
You want to use a poly wall anchor. Like this. The prongs will keep the unit in place while you can screw it on and off. You can paint the visible part to match your ceiling.

Old 02-02-17, 12:59 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you! Very detailed and helpful... except I made a mistake. The drawing implies an attic. I didn't mean to show the threaded rods going "down"... I just meant that they go there.

It's a 1st floor with hardwood floors on the 2nd floor... no access through the floor really.

I just found something that might work. What do you think of screwing these up into the ceiling?

3/8 Inch Rod, Zinc Plated Steel, Vertical 05888599 - MSC

Old 02-02-17, 05:00 AM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
Same difference, yes they will work. But it will need to be threaded into stud or cross beam, or if none is available then an anchor will be needed.