how to build a non-square base cabinet

Old 02-22-17, 01:52 PM
P
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
how to build a non-square base cabinet

I want to build a new bathroom vanity but not as a standard rectangular cabinet. I am looking to replicate a commercial cabinet but not sure about a couple of things.

First, here is the commercial version: Belvedere Vanity

For a rectangular cabinet, I would connect the 4 sides to the base and each other and then attach a top. Since this does not have all of those right angles, I am not sure what to do.

I am planning on building the cabinet and placing it on a 2"x4" framed base and trimmed with 1"x4" and moulding. I am starting with a base cut from 3/4" white particleboard shelving and then was going to stand up the left and right sides followed by the back and connect them all. Not sure how to do the side angles and then create some internal bracing to keep it from racking while still letting me put in a sink and providing the strength for a granite top.

How do I build this cabinet? Have I given enough info or should I be sketching something out?

This is my current cabinet with tape showing the outline how the new one would replace it.

- Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-17, 01:58 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Get a short cabinet that is not full depth and build out the countertop instead. I've done this numerous times using plywood, CBU, tile and a wood edge cap. Your top would have the profile you desire and the base would be flat across the front.

Old 02-22-17, 02:57 PM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Cabinet

Build a face frame. Rip the face frame pieces at the corners at 22.5 degrees to make the 45 degree corners. Dado the inside of the face frame sides to accept the side panels. The angled sides will provide adequate bracing to make the unit sturdy. Come back with more questions.

Old 02-22-17, 03:06 PM
P
Is it ok to put the sides on top of the base shelf or take the sides down to the floor with the base shelf screwed into into the sides?

Old 02-22-17, 06:03 PM
P
Also, what am I attaching the face frame to?

Old 02-23-17, 05:06 PM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
You are creating wasted space inside and outside of the cabinet, Most people want more counter and storage space, not less. Have you considered any impact on what this may cause when you go to sell your house?

Old 02-23-17, 05:16 PM
P
good point beelzebob. I am aware of the wasted space but considering it is a first floor powder room only 4'x6',I am not worried about the value issue.

Old 02-23-17, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Also, what am I attaching the face frame to?
Wirepuller explained it well.
The side panels will be full height with a dado for the cabinet bottom deck to fit into. The face frame also has a dado in the front bottom rail to accept the deck.

Here's a pretty good view of the face frame you are building, you can modify the panels to fit your needs:

Name:  basecorner.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  15.6 KB

You can use wood glue to secure the side and bottom panels into the dados, but hot melt glue is quick and easy.