Staircase trimming help

Old 04-02-17, 12:30 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Staircase trimming help

In the process of finishing our basement and could use some advice on how to proceed with the staircase. There was a half wall coming down that I tore out. I'd like to do an open staircase with iron balusters similar to this. Name:  image-3773402326.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  26.4 KB Here's what I have right now. Name:  IMG_6919.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  30.0 KBName:  IMG_6920.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  24.5 KBName:  IMG_6921.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  30.1 KBName:  IMG_6922.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  30.9 KB I've never built anything like this before so I'm not really sure exactly how to frame the wall to begin with. More specifically where in relation to the first step should the wall start. Even with the nose of the last stair? Set back a little so the newel post can be attached to the face of the wall and the first step? Also as you can see there is currently no skirtboard installed but the drywall was finished when the house was built. There is about a 3/4" gap between the stair treads and where the framing will be. the drywall filled that gap on the half wall. Should I install a skirtboard in that gap and butt it up to the drywall or fill the gap with drywall and run skirtboard all the way from top to bottom? Hopefully someone can make heads or tails of what I'm trying to explain and from looking at the pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-02-17, 12:54 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Now as I looked at it again I'm wondering if the best option wouldn't be to remove all the treads and risers and cut them even with ends of the stringers. Name:  IMG_6923.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  25.3 KB Then I could have drywall installed back on the knee wall that I'll be framing up and still have a gap to slide a skirt board in on both sides. Does this seem like it would be a good option?

Old 04-02-17, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yes, and while you have the treads and risers off, that would be the perfect time to add a skirt to the wall on the other side, so that the vacuum cleaner doesn't mark up the drywall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: