hardwood for a dinning room sideboard

Old 04-05-17, 10:08 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hardwood for a dinning room sideboard

I am planning on building a dinning room sideboard. I want to stain it black and use some chrome strips. I have tried Ebony stain from minwax on red oak, but it seems to retain a redish tint even after two coats of stain. What type of hardwood would you suggest for this project?

Old 04-05-17, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You can use pine, but be sure to apply a Pre Stain prior to your Ebony. It will make it more evenly distributed. If you apply stain to raw wood, the different characteristics of the wood will absorb the stain at different rates and will look blotchy.

Old 04-05-17, 03:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 314 Posts
Sometimes when I can't get wood to color the way I need it to I'll add a small amount of the appropriate colored paint [same base as the poly] to the poly to achieve the desired color. You'd still need to apply clear poly over it to protect the color from wearing down.

Old 04-05-17, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would use Maple. Oak is an open pore wood and will absorb the stain and finish coat too much without proper sealing. Other open pore woods are Mahogany and Walnut.

If the dark stain isn't transparent, you can also use Birch or Poplar.

Old 04-06-17, 04:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 314 Posts
Not sure maple would accept a dark stain, you usually see it finished with light colors although a tinted poly would work. They aren't all that easy to apply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: