Damaged drywall - can I fix this with compound?

Old 07-05-17, 07:05 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Damaged drywall - can I fix this with compound?

I pulled off an old built-in bookcase and this is how the drywall now looks. There's lots of dried on glue, some peeling paper and a nice sized crack. Is this something I can fix with compound or will these portions of drywall need to be removed?

Thanks.

Name:  wall.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  12.6 KB

Name:  walls2.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  25.2 KB

Old 07-05-17, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 723 Posts
That looks more like plaster then drywall to me. Either way though I see no reason you can not just patch it with compound. I would use a setting type compound (Easy Sand) for your first layer, and maybe even put a layer of tape over the crack. Finish off with standard premixed mud.

Old 07-05-17, 07:51 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. The walls in my house are plaster and lath but this particular wall has no lath behind it so I assumed it was drywall. Is it common to have a plaster wall with no lath behind it?

I pulled another built-in off the other side of fireplace and it left a nice 4 inch hole, which is how I know there is no lath there.

How would I repair this hole? I googled plaster repair and most sites say place a piece of mesh so that it's up against the lath, which I don't have.

Name:  hole.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  17.0 KB

Old 07-05-17, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 723 Posts
For a hole like that you could use these repair patches: Wal-Board Tools 4 in. x 4 in. Drywall Repair Self Adhesive Wall Patch-54-005 - The Home Depot or you can make a California patch. (google it)

Between drywall, and lath and plaster, there was what I always called rock lath. It is 1/4" drywall panels that are then covered with plaster. It is hard like plaster but no wood lath required. Looking at your hole it does look more like drywall then the crack.

Old 07-06-17, 05:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
It's probably gypsum lath, basically drywall but not as wide. Setting compounds work great for patching plaster, especially for those of us not well versed in using plaster. You could make the repair with just regular ready mixed joint compound but then using tape becomes more important.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: