Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Replacing counter tops but found some Drywall Corner Bead

Old 07-25-17, 08:13 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

The counter people would not touch the metal and I am supposed to remove it. If i remove the metal, will my drawll fall off? The installers have to put a support beam on the bar, need to cut an inch into it so when the counter tops are laid, there is no gap.

Name:  3377332214968302973-account_id=3.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  35.9 KB

Old 07-25-17, 08:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Your drywall will not fall off but the mud finishing at the top probably will. Measure the width of the corner bead. Then make a horizontal line that far down on the vertical part of the wall so you know where the other edge of the bead is. Cut a deep score line with a knife. Then when you go to remove the corner bead the mud and damage will be stopped at your cut line.

Old 07-25-17, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You will probably just have some patching and painting to do after the corner bead is removed and the tops are finished.

Old 07-25-17, 11:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The advice above is good.. If the counter guys are not in a hurry here's another suggestion.

Take a cats paw and remove every nail. Also remove the nails on both sides of the wall, which is harder because you can't see them.
I use a magnetic stud finder (stud 4 sure) to find each nail and circle it with a pencil.

You can also just patch as already advised and sometimes I install trim under the bar overhang.
Most customers are happy with using trim only to hide the gap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: