Hanging upper cabinets on a very bulging wall

Old 09-12-17, 04:15 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hanging upper cabinets on a very bulging wall

So I'm pretty deep into a kitchen remodel. I've got my base cabinets set. I think it's suggested that you should set uppers first but I'm new at this and I need to get my granite fabricator out to measure so fabrication can start. My plan was to work on uppers while that happens.

One of my walls, however, has a huge bulge in it. If I were to screw all my uppers together and put them up as a single unit, the deflection would be at least an inch if I were to push into the corner, and probably 2-1/2 to 3" if I went the other way (adjusted my corner cabinet out and had the outage in the corner. This would, in turn, push out the other cabinets so far out my fridge wouldn't fit at the end.

The bulge is about 24" from one side to the other horizontally. Starts at about the level of the base of the uppers. And ends before the tops of the uppers. The uppers are 42" tall.

My thought was to cut a square of drywall out in the spot that the bulge happens. My hope is that it would allow 1/2" of the "slop" to be bridged by the cabinets and decrease the bulge. This is my first kitchen cabinet install and up to now I think it looks excellent. All my bases are level front-to-back, side-to-side and the faces are also flat all the way across. Lots of that credit goes to my tile guy making the floor very level before even getting started.

I think the issue is that when the home was built it was banged out like all mass-produced homes and super "un-square". Also the indentation on the other side of the wall I think caused them to turn the framing sideways which is not the straight edge of the wood. There could also be a wire box or something covered. It's right by the under cabinet wire poking out so maybe that wire was run between the drywall and the stud? Who knows, I wouldn't put anything out of the question at this point.

What would you guys do in this situation?

Pictures below:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PpcTplEAmcW4oGel2

Old 09-12-17, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Cut open the drywall 32" wide to expose the offending stud that is in the middle. Then plane or chisel it back as needed, replace the drywall, tape it, hang cabinets on a flat wall.

Old 09-12-17, 05:11 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
You are correct, hanging the top shelves is easier without the lowers in the way.

I agree, you need to find out why the wall is bulging. Removing the wallboard is the only way to properly tell. It might be more than one stud. Or it just might be that the wall is totally out of square. How were the old cupboards? did they look square? Were they shimmed?

Old 09-12-17, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
There could also be a wire box or something covered. It's right by the under cabinet wire poking out so maybe that wire was run between the drywall and the stud?
Another reason to remove the sheetrock now.

Old 09-12-17, 05:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Open the drywall as stated. You probably have a very badly warped stud or a doubled up stud post.
For what it's worth, I always install bases first and then the uppers for the same reason you did. I want a template asap.
I use cedar shims most of the time, but you might want to check out drywall shims. The drywall shims are flat and come in handy, but any shim is not appropriate for a gap that large.

Old 09-12-17, 06:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
When I hang uppers last I make up some "boxes" to set the uppers on, then shim them up to my line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: