base trim gap....shoe molding alternatives?

Old 10-31-17, 05:19 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
base trim gap....shoe molding alternatives?

i had my living room and hallway tiled with long 24 long planks of tile. my cousin who does it for a living did it. i thought he did semi good work until i started laying base molding. so a couple of the tiles are up more then the rest giving me a gap between the tile and base that i can almost stick my finger between. and this is with me trying to bend it down while nailing it.

I really dont want to put shoe molding around everything. i can accept a 1/8 gap between base and tile but in 2 spots about 2' long its up maybe 1/2"!!!

i feel like its way too big of a gap for caulk. maybe the floor grout?

other options?

i can post pics if necessary but i think most can imagine 1/2" between base trim and the floor.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-17, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 717 Votes on 663 Posts
Sometimes you can scribe the bottom of the base to follow the floor, but it means lowering the base in the entire room to match.

To scribe, you tack your base just to hold it up, then if your widest gap is 1/2", you can take a narrow scrap of 1/2" thick wood and slide it along the floor.. marking the top edge of the scrap with a pencil. Then cut along the line. You would need to do this to every piece of base in the room... wherever the base is continuous.

Old 10-31-17, 05:47 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the only thing is, its not a continuous gap, i would consider trying to cut that one high section out to lower both other sides. but i dont know how to do that cleanly

Name:  IMG_4246.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  87.5 KB

Old 10-31-17, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 717 Votes on 663 Posts
Not sure if you don't understand what I said, or what. Reread it, and see if it will work for you. Scribing the bottom of the baseboard- using a scrap of wood and a pencil together- will perfectly trace the shape of your irregular floor onto the bottom of the baseboard. Then, after you cut on the line that you trace (that's called "scribing") it will perfectly match the shape of your floor, and will be close enough to caulk.

However, like I said, if your largest gap is 1/2", it will lower your baseboard by 1/2" everywhere.... you need to do that to all the pieces that will meet one another. Where the gap is 1/2", you cut nothing off... but using the 1/2" thick scrap and pencil method, you will mark the baseboard at all other locations, which will allow the baseboard to drop down 1/2", hiding your gaps.

You scribe the baseboard, then take it off the wall and cut along the line.

Either that, or bite the bullet and put down base shoe everywhere.

Old 10-31-17, 08:20 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I'd put down shoe, it will bend and cover that gap. Yes a little more work, but is done all the time.

Old 11-01-17, 01:06 AM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
Ive installed slate floors and had similar problem.

I put down the smallest 1/4 or shoe molding I could which eliminated 90% of the gap then used same color caulk to fill in the last bit.

Old 11-01-17, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I'd also use shoe molding, it would be quicker/easier than scribing. Be sure to prime/paint the shoe mold prior to nailing it down.