base cabinet drawer slides completely out

Old 11-04-17, 07:02 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question base cabinet drawer slides completely out

We have kitchen drawers that slide all the way out if you are not careful. Either there are no stops on these old cabinets, or the stops are broken. The cabinet bases are solid wood (not chip board) and I cannot afford to replace them. Is there a way to install drawer glides/stops now? There is such a small space inside, I am not sure how you would drill holes, etc for an installation Any video or directions with photos would be appreciated.

Old 11-04-17, 08:46 PM
A picture would help. I'm guessing you have plastic stops and guides rather than modern ball bearing slides.
Here's a link to a typical wood drawer guide, there are other types. Many home and hardware stores sell replacement plastic components:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Prime-Line-...de-Kit/3010825

If you want to install modern side mount ball bearing slides, the drawer box needs 1/2" clearance on each side. The drawer boxes would probably need cut down and reassembled to size.

Old 11-04-17, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
A quick and easy fix is to take the spring loaded toggle part of a toggle bolt, drill a hole in one wing and screw it to the inside back of the drawer, so that it just clears the frame to slide the drawer in. When you want to take the drawer out, you reach in and fold the other wing down so that it clears the frame. You can put them on the side as well to limit drawer movement even more, but they will sometimes rotate as they hit the frame, so you need a screw through the wing and one beside the end.

If they are in the back, they are all but invisible. Even on the sides, they don't stick out like a sore thumb, just size them correctly and use small screws.

Old 11-05-17, 01:04 PM
J
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
A quick and easy fix is to take the spring loaded toggle part of a toggle bolt, drill a hole in one wing and screw it to the inside back of the drawer, so that it just clears the frame to slide the drawer in. When you want to take the drawer out, you reach in and fold the other wing down so that it clears the frame. You can put them on the side as well to limit drawer movement even more, but they will sometimes rotate as they hit the frame, so you need a screw through the wing and one beside the end.

If they are in the back, they are all but invisible. Even on the sides, they don't stick out like a sore thumb, just size them correctly and use small screws.
I like the idea of using part of a toggle bolt!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: