24" O.C. Roof Trusses Require Blocking?

Old 11-16-17, 08:00 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
24" O.C. Roof Trusses Require Blocking?

My new addition has roof trusses at 24" O.C. The framers installed H2.5 hurricane ties, but no blocking. Shouldn't there be 2x4 or 2x6 blocking installed where the trusses rest on the wall to prevent twisting? I believe blocking is needed at the ridges as well? Sheathing is 7/16" OSB.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-17, 08:36 AM
W
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Blocking will prevent soffit ventilation into the attic.

Old 11-16-17, 08:39 AM
M
They could install the blocking flat against the bottom of the top chord? Or at least put blocking near the top to provide some additional structural support. Remember we're talking about an unconditioned garage with very little "attic space" above (scissor trusses).

Old 11-16-17, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No blocking Mossman....... Of course there should be bored vent blocking at the ends

Old 11-16-17, 09:24 AM
M
Thing is the trusses hang on a girder beam up front using joist hangers, at which point there is a transition to a gable roof, so no venting there, and in the rear there is only a 6ft section with a soffit that would get venting. Make sense to block between the trusses where they hang on the girder, or will the hangers provide enough lateral support?

Old 11-16-17, 09:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
Any required blocking or bracing would called out in the engineering packet for the trusses. Keeping the trusses properly oriented is largely the job of the sheeting. None of the trusses in my house have blocking.

Old 11-16-17, 10:11 AM
M
Truss drawings say structural sheathing for top chord and rigid ceiling (sheetrock?) on the bottom chord or 8-6-11 O.C. bracing if no ceiling (I will not be installing a ceiling for the time being) and webs get 1 row of bracing at their midpoint.

Last edited by mossman; 11-16-17 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-16-17, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mossman, please post a complete set of drawings, including all detailed drawings. Also please submit a full set of floor plans, foundation plans, and electrical plans. Also post a plot plan and truss engineering calculations as well as the existing dwelling plans.
All elevations plans will also be needed as well as framing plans.
This will ensure you get a good answer........ after I consult an architect which you already have.

Old 11-17-17, 09:37 AM
M
There aren't any detailed drawings, hence the confusion and the screw ups. I get your point though. I'll try not to ask such tough questions anymore without providing sufficient information.

Old 11-17-17, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 713 Votes on 660 Posts
It's not that tough of a question since it was clearly answered right off the bat. Plus you answered your additional question yourself in post 7. There is no "blocking" required. But it is standard practice to install permanent bracing where you are told (by the truss mfg plan) to put it, and temporary bracing as needed to keep the bottom chord straight until the drywall goes on.