dado in plywood

Old 02-01-18, 08:19 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
dado in plywood

I've dadoed plywood many times for shelves and whatnot, and never gave it much thought, but am working on a jig that I want to dado for an adjustable plate to ride in. So I figured when I got to that point I would just set the router bit to the thickness of the plate, but happened to think that, since the depth won't change anything and I can set it a little deeper if I wanted, does it make more sense to set the depth so that it comes out on a ply? Pretty trivial actually, and it's as likely as not that I will find some things I want to change and will rework it at some point anyway, but it seems like the plate might move easier and not catch if it were on a play rather than in the middle of it.

Old 02-01-18, 09:51 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Since you can go deeper if you have to or want to why not just try it at the depth of the plate and see if it runs smoothly. If it catches then you can rout again deeper to catch a ply. I'm guessing you won't have to do that unless the plywood is really cheap and not fully glued.

Old 02-01-18, 10:06 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Yeah, that's a good idea, and then I'll know. Was thinking that I didn't want to mess around setting the router back up for another cut, but won't be doing it the first day or two and just as likely that it'll be fine and I never have to, so may as well stick with the original plan. Thank you.

Old 02-02-18, 08:53 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you look real close at the edge of most (imported) plywood sold today you'll see the plys vary in thickness. Looks to be pressed at whatever pressure is required to achieve the overall nominal thickness and the plys squish more or less as needed.
More expensive/higher grade plywood like Baltic birch is way more consistent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: