Custom Ikea Bodbyn door

Old 03-26-18, 06:22 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Custom Ikea Bodbyn door

I have 2 upper Ikea Sektion cabinet frames that I want to cut down 3 inches in order to have the proper spacing above my counter top (I realized after installing them that they are too low and moving the row of smaller cabinets close to the ceiling down with shorter frames is out of the question). Cutting the frame myself is no problem but since Ikea doesn't make doors the size I am cutting the frame to, can a custom cabinet maker/place make me a door to match the Ikea Bodbyn off white look? I know I can call around to a few cabinet places to ask that but I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever done that with Ikea cabinets and were satisfied with the results? Hoping it wouldn't be too cost prohibitive as well.

Last edited by umjorge3; 03-26-18 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-26-18, 07:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
A good cabinet shop should be able to replicate both the style and finish. You might want to take a cabinet door to a shop or two along with the measurements and ask for a price.

Posting a pic of your cabinets would give us a better idea of what you are working with.

Old 03-26-18, 08:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Don't count on it being such an easy job cutting down the cabinet boxes. It's most likely shipped flat and you assemble it. This method requires pretty precise hole placements for the special hardware they use. Also, most Ikea stuff only has structure at the edges which will likely get cut off when you try to shorten the cabinet box. If going to a custom cabinet maker for the doors I'd seriously look at having them make cabinets the size you need as modifying Ikea stuff can be problematic.

Old 03-26-18, 08:47 AM
U
Heres a pic of the door.

And the kitchen layout. Its the taller cases I am wanting to modify.

And thats a good point about the structure. I'd be cutting the bottom 3 inches off and then just moving the bottom piece up. There is a 3/4" thicker piece that runs along the edge of the case that wouldn't be compromised I don't think. Would just have to drill new holes in the right spot for the cam bolts and wood dowels. Needs to be precise like you said.

Old 04-03-18, 08:21 AM
U
Just to follow up on this I have not been able to find anyone who can do this and if they could its either too expensive or they couldn't match it exactly. Most places would just try to match it with their stock cabinet door selection without luck (even though they call themselves custom). Apparently Ikea has their own unique design that is impossible to match. I just went and changed out all the sizes of my cabinets so that they don't come so close to the counter top and now can just get the appropriate doors from Ikea to fit them. Trying to customize something to match something existing I find has always been a waste of time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: