Almost done with door jamb repair.

Old 05-20-18, 01:08 PM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Almost done with door jamb repair.

I've been repairing the lower portion of an exterior door frame. I already finished with the door jamb and threshold which had rotted wood. Carpentry is pretty much new to me.

Now all have to do is replace the stop molding. Should I just replace the bad portion of molding? The rest of it is ok. Or should I replace the entire molding strip up to the header? I was just concerned about damaging any underlying wood when I pry off the old molding. I attached a photo of the molding with black weatherstripping.

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 05-20-18 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 01:17 PM
Received 313 Votes on 282 Posts
Photo didn't show. I see no reason why you can't just replace the rotted portion. But I would like to see the repair so far.

Old 05-20-18, 02:06 PM
B
Ok. Give me some time to load another photo. Ran out of high speed data.

Old 05-20-18, 02:10 PM
B
Ok. Photo should be attached below. I had to repair the other side in a similar fashion.
The jagged piece of wood sticking out of the molding is the finger joint.

Attached Images  
Old 05-20-18, 02:23 PM
Received 313 Votes on 282 Posts
I would cut a matching piece in and paint it. Should OK.

Old 05-20-18, 10:43 PM
B
Thanks Norm. Waiting to get my Dremel back from the manufacturer. It could come in handy for cutting the molding to mate with the downward slope of the threshold. I don't own any power saws.

Old 05-21-18, 03:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
I would add if you are going to just replace a portion of the door stop be sure to prime the cut edges and put some caulk in the joint as you nail the new piece in.

Old 05-21-18, 05:59 AM
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
i've added pieces to rotted portions in the past, but unless you're good at fine details, they don't look like one piece... if you want a pro look, replace the entire board of doorways, and i used pt wood so it won't rot again.

Old 05-21-18, 08:47 AM
B
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about using two pieces versus one strip of molding.
I was a little disappointed in my work. The threshold is positioned a little too far towards the inside of the garage. The wooden strip on the threshold not centered with bottom of door

I was having trouble fitting the threshold to the door frame width. I forgot to compare it with the other threshold in the house.

Too late now. That thing is glued down with Liquid Nails Extreme Duty. It's the garage anyway. So I can live with it. Door opens and closes fine with good seal at the bottom. I'll have to think about two pieces vs. one. Saturday is the only day I can make it to the molding and trim stores.

Old 05-29-18, 10:35 PM
B
I replaced the entire length of stop molding for both sides since the old ones were very easy to remove. This includes new threshold, lower door jambs and weather stripping. I attached a photo. Looks like I need to touch up a couple spots with paint. Otherwise, Done.

Attached Images  

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 05-29-18 at 10:55 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: