Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Rejuvenate, Howard RF1008 Restor-A-Finish - Kitchen Cabinets

Old 05-23-18, 07:03 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi. My 12 year old birch all wood cabinets are not ready to be fully stripped and resurfaced but they could use sprucing up.

We clean and polish them and that look lasts a few weeks.

I am reading about these chemicals you can wipe on and they restore the surface, fill in scratches and make them look better.

Is this fallacy. Is there any one that works good. Thanks!

Old 05-23-18, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Could you post a few pictures for us ?...... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 05-29-18, 07:51 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The cabinets for the most part look good except there are minor wear marks on some of the edges. There are minor spots where the poly is chipped off. Minor spots that could use re-staining.

Typical cabinets that have been taken care of with minor wear.

Old 05-30-18, 03:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Sometimes you can just scuff sand and apply a fresh coat of poly to put new life into the old finish. Any wax/polish would need to be removed first. Really hard to say what the best solution would be without being able to see it.

Old 05-31-18, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
It's amazing what the Restore A Finish can do...but it's not a simple wipe on, let set, wipe off. You'll need to clean them, then use the Howards with some 0000 steel wool, let them sit a while, then wipe off. They should look good at this point but as they dry look a little dull. After a few hours or the next day, a lot of sheen will come back with a mild buffing with a terry towel. Just did this in our kitchen..including pulling, cleaning, adjusting all hinges, new bumpers, etc...and they seriously look like new...but this place was built in 1990...and has been a rental most of that time. needless to say...they needed it.

Oh...and areas that need a stain touch up from wear...it will help. Dings and gouges down to bare wood will need a stain stick.

Old 05-31-18, 07:45 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting that, Gunguy. I've often wondered if those finish restore products actually work or just leave a blotchy mess. The skeptic in me wouldn't let me try it and lately my wife is obsessed with painting everything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: