Is it safe to keep this TV mount bracket installed?

Old 07-07-18, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it safe to keep this TV mount bracket installed?

Original Thread

This is sort of a followup to a thread I posted almost a year ago regarding my entertainment unit and the fact that the section of wood that held up my TV with the mounted bracket started slowly bending at a very specific, vertically-shaped section on the right hand side to the point where it showed up as a set of very visible horizontal wrinkles.

I was told back then that this was probably due to a construction defect wherein that particular section of wood wasn't glued together properly thus leading to the gradual inward bending thanks to the way the TV was hanging on it and applying the appropriate stress for the roughly 5 years that it was situated there.

Since then, I've had the TV displayed using the traditional plastic stand that it originally came with and hadn't put it anywhere near that bracket since for fear of worsening the wood's condition even further, going so far as to produce replacement pieces of disguised cardboard so as to cover up the existing surface afflictions.

It wasn't until I readjusted these pieces of cardboard that I noticed the bending wrinkles underneath had become noticeably worse since I had placed them there. I readily came to the possible conclusion that this could be because of the tape that I had used to mount those cardboard pieces pulling the tender, loosened area on the surface of the wood as I removed them thus explaining the worsened condition.

But I figured instead of coming up with my own hypothesis and possibly regretting it later, I should throw my questions and concerns out there in order to attain some peace of mind regarding this situation. So with that being said, am I right in assuming that's the only reason for the wrinkles to be getting worse?

Also, I haven't actually removed my TV mount bracket from my entertainment unit since installing it there despite not actually using it at all anymore. Would it be safe to keep it where it is without it posing a possible risk to the condition of the wood at any point in the future? I know this question probably sounds a little stupid since the most plausible culprit for this problem in the first place is the TV itself since it was applying all the overwhelming weight and all of the noticeable damage up to this point has always been located in that specific isolated section on the right hand side(even after almost a full year of this bracket being without any object to speak of hanging off of it), but I think it would be better to cover all my bases right here and now so I don't get any unwanted surprises somewhere down the road.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-18, 04:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Old 07-08-18, 01:11 PM
All the pictures referring to the wrinkle-based damages are located in the original thread I linked to in my previous post. But just for good measure, I'll add another picture depicting the look and build of my current TV mount bracket as well.

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 07-08-18 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Enlarge image and adjust colors.
Old 07-09-18, 06:00 AM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
Pic doesn't actually tell us much. But I did a quick look see at your original post. Keeping the bracket on the wall, I don't think will cause any more harm. But why do you want to keep the bracket there if not used. Take it off and fill the holes and try to smooth out the wrinkles. Can't look any worse than an empty bracket.

Old 07-10-18, 03:02 PM
I really don't know how much more I can convey image-wise, but the reason why I've kept the bracket there up until this point is because I wasn't sure if removing it would possibly contribute to the stress that's already been applied to the wood while at the same time was also unsure if leaving it there could deliver more forms of long-term strain in the future. Granted, since I removed my TV from the bracket last August I haven't seen any signs of further bending or wrinkles forming either in the original area or in any other location on the wood's surface.

As I'd mentioned, most of these concerns were spurred on by the fact that the wrinkles started getting worse after I'd applied tape to the surface area on and around them in an attempt to cover it up with pieces of painted cardboard I'd produced. But if it's true that the bracket can't cause any harm where it is right now, then I really don't mind leaving it there since I'd also painted it to match the wood it's attached to and find it blends in quite nicely.

All I'd really wanted to know was if leaving it there truly was a smart thing to do if I valued the smooth and non-warped nature of the wood's current appearance after successfully covering up the previous damage.