Installing floating shelving on tile/stone wall

Old 07-18-18, 03:25 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing floating shelving on tile/stone wall

Hey all, so my wife has a little business doing wall design and art installation, and of course I do a lot of work for her. She has a job right now where she has a 1x4 zig zagging floating shelf I'm making out of oak installed over tile which in tern is on plywood that is affixed to a stone wall. ... I know right? The only good thing is that it will only have some air plants put on it and a few small hexagonal mirrors partially supported by it.

So my plan right now is to:
  • drill 3/8" holes half way through the back of the oak 1x4" shelf,
  • use a masonry bit to drill 3/8" holes (or whichever size is needed) through the tile and into the stone behind the tile and hammer 3/8" x 3 3/4" wedge anchors
  • then slide the ziq zagging shelf onto the bolts, probably using some gorilla glue or something to make sure they don't slide back off.
Does that sound like it will be a reasonably sturdy shelf set up? The stone is the thin and long natural flag stones and I don't have a way of being positive I'm drilling into the grout and not into the stone because of the crazy tile wall attached to it.

Is there any kind of glue I could use between the shelf and tile to give it a little extra strength? Again, there isn't a ton of weight on this thing, but it is STILL going to be 4" out from the wall and attached through tile and plywood, so I'm nervous about this job.

Thanks ya'll!

Old 07-18-18, 04:44 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So will the stud be sticking out like 3" so the shelf can then be inserted?

I would think you would need these "posts" every 18" so depending on the length of the shelf and number of "posts" but it will be tough to keep them all nice and level!

Are there mounting bracket that can be used?

Wouldn't put much weight on it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: