Cabinet doors - cracks from screw hinges

Old 09-25-18, 09:07 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cabinet doors - cracks from screw hinges

I've recently painted all of my kitchen cupboard doors and in the process of reattaching the hinges a few screws went awry and cracked the front of the doors. I realize now that I should have drilled the holes if the screws were not going in straight but I didn't and I'm left with these ugly lifts and cracks. Is there a way that I can repair them before I put them back up? I believe the doors are made of pressed wood.

Many thanks in advance for tips on this!

Attached Images   
Old 09-25-18, 10:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You can remove the screws and put a washer or two under the head. Then re-install. The washers will prevent the screw from penetrating so deeply. You can then use a C clamp with a piece of leather, heavy fabric or cardboard under the pads to squeeze the dimples and try to push them back flush.

The screws in those type doors are easily stripped so be careful when installing the screws. If you want to reinforce run all the screws in and snug them but not fully tighten. Then remove the screws and apply several drops of thin CA (cyanoacrylate (super glue)) into each hole. Wait about 10 minutes to make sure the glue fully cures. Then put everything back together.

Old 09-25-18, 11:23 AM
L
Thanks for your response, Pilot Dane. I got rid of my C clamps recently because I never seemed to have a use for them ... looks like it's time to get another one and try to repair these doors. I can't stand how they look right now!

Old 09-25-18, 12:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You can try tapping the bumps back in with a hammer if you are careful. A C clamp is more controlled so there's less risk of making hammer dents.

Old 09-26-18, 12:39 PM
L
So I took your advice, Pilot Dane, and was able to repair most of the damage with some solid hits of the hammer. I also put some carpenter's glue on the two spots where the layers had separated and clamped those spots overnight. The end result is better than I thought it would be! Attached are pics of the same bumps I uploaded yesterday.

Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: