Shelf Screws

Old 10-25-18, 09:50 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shelf Screws

I realize that this is probably a very basic question but I'm not hugely experienced with DIY so I'd appreciate some help with it.

I want to put up a 1M book shelf using 2 x 25cm mitred brackets with 3 x 5mm screw holes down each length. The wall is brick with plaster on top and 15cm thick. The bracket designs go from a point at the ends to a wider point where the two lengths meet so the 3 holes are 1cm, 1.5cm and 2cm away from where it will meet the wall. I want to use this for fairly heavy books so I am looking at something like 60Kg maximum.

I was looking for advice about exactly which screws and wall plugs I need to buy to ensure it is a secure fit for a fairly heavy load?

Thanks

Old 10-25-18, 03:56 PM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
You mentioned wall plugs. The brackets should not be fastened to a hollow wall. The bracket screws should be installed into the wall studs.

Old 10-25-18, 04:41 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 786 Votes on 723 Posts
I would use drill into the wall with a hammer drill and install mollies and screws. You need to get the mollies back into the brick so you're not relying on the plaster for support. You'll want the largest screws you can to provide as much strength as possible. The top screw into the wall of each bracket will be under the most load as the shelf will also be trying to pull the screws straight out of the wall. The other two screws in the middle and bottom of the bracket will only be in sheer so their job is much easier.

Old 10-26-18, 07:14 AM
B
Thanks Wirepuller, its' a solid brick wall (well, I assume cavity brick wall but solid for all intents and purposes).

Cheers Pilot Dane, that's useful to know. Any advice on particular screw lengths and types I should be looking at primarily?

Old 10-26-18, 10:02 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 786 Votes on 723 Posts
You'll need screws long enough to anchor back into the brick. Straight tube style mollies can be pushed to the depth you need with a nail. Avoid mollies that are cone shaped with a flange as they stick at the surface and you don't want to anchor into the plaster.

Old 10-28-18, 10:12 AM
B
Thanks, that's great......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: