Can you make your own osb?

Old 01-03-19, 11:20 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can you make your own osb?

Ive looked everywhere. I thought this was a diy forum but.... Anyway. I have quite a bit of scrap wood and a chipper (and quite a few more tools) and looked at osb and thought " i have alot of that laying around. Shouldnt be that hard to press and glue it together. I looked up the types of glue and resin that are used and typical proportions. Not sure about the stregth axis it has but i understand orientation of wood pieces. So would i beable to press it out and thats it? Is there something im not aware of? Why is noone else doing this? Please awnser back. As i said ive looked all over and can get a concise answer.

Old 01-03-19, 11:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Shouldnt be that hard to press and glue it together.
The presses used to manufacturer that type of wood are as a big as a truck. Tons of pressure are used as well as heat and steam. How could you possibly DIY a press of that size ?

I thought this was a diy forum but...
It is and when you figure out how to do it..... you can share with others.

Old 01-04-19, 12:48 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Here is a little video you might want to watch before attempting to take that project on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awxhgAMnyTs

Old 01-04-19, 02:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
It's a DIY forum but that doesn't mean DIY makes sense for every task.

Old 01-04-19, 05:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
You say it "shouldn't be that hard"... yet you haven't done it. Go ahead and try it... Just make sure you post back to tell us how it went. Oh, and flying is also pretty easy. I see birds do it all the time.

Making OSB is a pretty difficult process. The wood chips are specifically made for the job. They are not wood chipper shavings which would be much too thick. Then you need a large flat surface so there you need a large sheet of steel, and a base to support it and keep it flat. Then apply the right amount of glue to the wood. Methodically lay out the wood shavings in the proper orientation and thickness. Clamp down on it all with another big, flat sheet of steel. Apply many, many tons of pressure while using a microwave or ultrasound to heat the sheet to cure the glue. When you're done you've spent $100'000 to make an $8 sheet of OSB.

Old 01-04-19, 05:53 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Gee, all he asked was could it be done! And he gets a course on manufacturing.

Old 01-04-19, 06:50 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
I have quite a bit of scrap wood
Might be better suited for a wood stove or fireplace. Your not going to successively make OSB with it.

Old 01-04-19, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Norm, that's because he said it shouldn't be hard and he can't figure out why there's no instructions on this forum already! So, everyone is just explaining exactly why and why.

Old 01-04-19, 07:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Gee, all he asked was could it be done! And he gets a course on manufacturing.

Louisiana Pacific and Boise Cascade have factories a few miles from here. A lot of OSB and other engineered wood gets made in this little town.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: