laminate countertops

Old 02-19-19, 04:37 AM
F
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
laminate countertops

I was thinking of replacing an old laminate countertop and noticed that they now have a premium and a standard grade. the countertop I am replacing is old and has lasted a long time. the question i have is, does the current laminate have the same thickness and quality of the old (20 years), or do you have to go to the premium grade to get the thickness and quality from that long ago? I see menards has a brand name of custom craft. Is there a brand name countertop that would be better? I have replaced countertops before, but it has been a long time and just trying to get an idea what to look for to get good quality and wearability, and where to find them. thanks

frank

Old 02-19-19, 08:34 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
My ex-wife put Menards countertops in her office more than 15 years ago and they held up really well, I would be willing to use them (assuming it's still the same brand).

Old 02-19-19, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
At Menards, premium just means there are select textures to choose from. Standard grade is just smooth, and it's available in more colors. If you look on their website it's pretty clear what the difference is between the two.

Old 02-20-19, 02:35 AM
F
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
thanks guys. I need all the help I can get.

frank

Old 02-20-19, 03:32 PM
L
Received 10 Upvotes on 10 Posts
If you are going to use laminate in your kitchen I suggest you get a type that rolls the laminate under the front of the countertop to minimize water damage to the particle board that is the base for the laminate. Most of the big box stores have a small selection and you can probably get many types/colors by special order. If you are in a large city, there may well be a supplier to the cabinet shops that may fabricate the countertops for you at a modest price compared to getting this done by a tradesman.

Old 02-20-19, 08:08 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Yes, the difference between standard and premium is in the texture and finish of the laminate itself. There are basic patterns and colors. Add texture and more intricate designs and the price goes up. The underbelly of the laminate is the same across all price points.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: