Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

How/What Kind of Rail to Install on Interior double step?

Old 02-25-19, 10:05 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

hello! I have been mulling my next project and wanted to get some expert advice or opinions (or at least those who know more than myself,which is probably most). But I am in the middle of a 100+ year old farmhouse renovation/remodel and am looking to install a railing on these two steps that are right inside the back deck entrance. Both floors, upper and lower to these steps are tiled..so im not really excited about the thought of drilling into tile (being an amateur) and was thinking I could do the posts attached to the steps and the doorway (that I am going to be framing and casing soon). Just trying to figure the best way to go about this before I start cutting and drilling holes...
[img]blob:https://www.doityourself.com/52bd2f72-9d02-4112-9c20-a18f4e98d89e

Last edited by AmyElizabeth; 02-25-19 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 02-25-19, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
Old 02-25-19, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 407 Upvotes on 334 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

How to Insert Pictures

Old 02-28-19, 12:48 PM
A
Stairs Photo

Here is a photo of the stairs that I am looking to add railings to!

Attached Images  
Old 02-28-19, 12:53 PM
A
Thank you for the pointers on adding photos!!

Old 02-28-19, 12:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
2 steps don't require a railing but that looks like 3 which I think requires a railing [don't know for sure] The top step looks like it has a shorter riser. By code they are all supposed to be the same approximate height. It might be better to build new steps and incorporate the rail into it.

Old 02-28-19, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
Yes, if you are going to frame the door on the left in, I would put the handrail on the wall on the left... no handrail on the right.

By code, handrails must now return back to the wall on the ends just like bathroom grab bars do. So when you frame your door in, just add some 2x12 blocking between the studs that is centered 36" directly above the stair nosing. You might need to open up the wall on the top step and do the same to ensure you have solid wood there. Then you will have something good to mount to on top and bottom that will be symetrical with your steps.

If you do decide to put a newel post on the right side, you would need to get a steel post bracket about 38" tall and drill through the tile, then also epoxy it to the floor with something like PC 7... a two part epoxy that you mix together and spread on like peanut butter. Then fasten to the floor, shim as needed so it's plumb. Then you would build a wood box around that steel post... and your handrail would go between there and the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: