Wood Type For Painted Mudroom Lockers

Old 03-21-19, 12:52 PM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wood Type For Painted Mudroom Lockers

I tried looking for a more specific "woodworking" forum but couldn't find it. So if this is in the wrong spot could someone please give me the link for it?

But hopefully someone here could answer my question. I designed some mudroom lockers, but not sure what wood to use for them. They will be painted white with a sprayer. I built some laundry room cabinets in the past and used poplar for the face frame and birch ply for the case. I got really good results as they were painted as well.

I guess I am more of wondering if its worth going MDF and saving a lot of money on a paint grade project? I really like the idea of having them made out of real hardwood, but really, they aren't going anywhere and if it doesn't make a big difference in appearance why not save the extra money?

One thing that is nice with the poplar is, I designed the cabinets to basically use all precut wood so it will go quicker instead of ripping mdf panels to side, but for the extra savings it might be worth the extra cuts...

I am currently at $480 in lumbar. I think I could cut that down quite a bit if I went all MDF, or mostly MDF. Pros? Cons?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-19, 01:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
MDF paints beautifully but it can also be marred easily. For economy I'd probably use pine and the cheapest nice looking plywood I could fine. It's best to prime the wood with an oil base undercoater [especially if you use poplar] the top coat can be any enamel you desire; oil base; latex or waterborne.

Old 03-21-19, 03:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 689 Votes on 636 Posts
I would not use MDF where someone may leave a wet raincoat or boots.

Old 03-21-19, 03:24 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Poplar is my preferred wood choice when painting. Beyond that, Mark steered you straight.

Old 03-21-19, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 723 Votes on 669 Posts
Yeah I would use plywood and poplar face frames.

Old 03-21-19, 03:39 PM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Perfect. Thanks everyone for the input!

Old 03-21-19, 04:59 PM
Received 397 Votes on 371 Posts
I like using MDF moldings due to cost and their tendency to be very straight and warp free.

But the rule is you cant touch, meaning it can only be used on ceilings and trim up high and at the top of the walls.

Use it for baseboards or door casings and it will look like krap in no time due to its softness!