Cutting down a bunk bed to a regular size bed

Old 04-01-19, 06:10 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting down a bunk bed to a regular size bed

Hello I would like to cut down a bunk beg into a regular sized bed , the bed has a built in dresser and shelf that I would like to keep and be able to use seperatly aside from the bed should I use a pull saw or a sawzall to cut the legs? Should I keep the bed standing up or try to lay it on itís side, by unscrewing the dresser and shelf and tilting the bed frame to eventually put the bed on the side?
[img]blob:https://www.doityourself.com/b1c0c2a7-21ae-4ef4-bfbf-8cc493bab2a4[/img]

Also I need to make two bed legs with the remanding wood for the left side of the bed where Iím removing the dresser and shelf so I was think about drilling a hole in the bed leg and screwing a hanger bolt inside the leg and attaching a leg mounting plate on the bottom of the bed post itself I order to attach this leg I will be making. It should look kind of like this
[img]blob:https://www.doityourself.com/b7bcb3a6-dd71-46ec-8dc4-38892c9c1c58[/img]
I just want to know the best way to do this project for someone who has no experience in carpentry. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-19, 06:17 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
How to Insert pictures ********************************************

Old 04-01-19, 06:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Usually bunk beds are made so they can be disassembled - that's where I'd start.
Look forward to seeing the pics.

Old 04-04-19, 08:08 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pictures

One is a stock picture of the bunk bed the bottom full bed underneath is not attached to the bed and it has wheels where it rolls out from under the bed... The second picture is an example of how I would turn the remainder wood into legs to go the other side of the bed after it’s cut down.

Attached Images