How to fix paint thinner damage on cabinets?

Old 04-29-19, 05:19 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to fix paint thinner damage on cabinets?

A friend of mine spilled paint thinner down his kitchen cabinets and it left a large trail of discoloration on the face and doors in 2 areas. I want to hide the discoloration, but aside from taking the entire cabinets and face off to resand/stain/seal (way too large of a project), I am at a loss. It doesn't have to be perfect, but any tips for improvement would be appreciated.

Attached Images  
Old 04-29-19, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Hard to tell the kind of finish from just a picture. They don't look like they have any type of clear finish on them... or do they? It kind of looks like an an aniline dye to me, with no clear coat.

I don't know that paint thinner would have ANY effect on a normal wood finish... polyurethane and lacquer would be impervious to paint thinner. Unless it was something far hotter than paint thinner... lacquer thinner perhaps?

Old 04-30-19, 02:02 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
On the lower door you can see what looks like a scrape across the stain, looks like paint or something on the surface.

If it's something on the surface some 0000 steel wool might remove but use caution.

Old 04-30-19, 02:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What type of thinner got spilled?
It looks like both the door and drawer front will need to be stripped and refinished. The drawer would need to be completely redone but you should be able to just do the top style of the door. Same thing for the piece of the frame. There is a slight possibility you could scrub those areas with the same thinner and make them look ok but I'm not overly optimistic.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: