Wood/Steel Stairs

Old 05-06-19, 04:01 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood/Steel Stairs

I am having two steel frame stringers installed for wood planks treads - staircase. I need to secure the treads which are wood planks of both hard and soft wood to the frame by screwing 4 screws through each frame supporting the boards into the wood frfom underneath.

I dont want to use bolts which could be seen as they protrude from the top so would like to use screws that will go 60% into the boards which are 1 and 1/4 inch thick from beneath the structure.

I obviously need the most secure and reliable screws to tighen the connection between the steel plate and the wood. There are many different types of screws on the market Which are the best for this job ?

Old 05-06-19, 06:03 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I tend to use deck screws. Drywall screws would be one to avoid.

Old 05-06-19, 06:07 PM
T
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Here in Canada the un-coated ones are generally marketed as construction screws. Deck screws are always coated with ceramic for exterior use. Not sure what they're called in the UK.

Old 05-06-19, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
The biggest thing you can do to help is drill a larger pilot hole in your stringer wood so that the screw will only thread into the tread... and pull down tight. Finish washers could be used to ensure the head of the screw does not sink into the wood before it pulls the tread down tight.

And you should obviously be using glue to eliminate any squeaks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: