Adding in studs/wall for mounting TV

Old 07-06-19, 05:19 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding in studs/wall for mounting TV

Hi everyone,

I am not 100% sure if this was the right area to post. I am not sure what I needed to google to find an answer for my question so I came here. I don't have a lot knowledge in carpentry so bear with me. I have a built-in entertainment center (I believe that is what it is called...) that was covered by tiling for aesthetics. This happened before we bought our home during the flip. The person who flipped the house said that the new studs he put into the space would be good to wall mount a TV. The current orientation of the studs have the 4 inch part facing the room where that the TV would mount. I have a 65 inch TV mount that requires the bolts to be drilled into the studs at the 2 inch region, not the 4 inch region. There are no studs within the original cubby space including the shelf and the side walls. The only studs are in the region are in the back which is approximately 30 inches deep. There aren't any TV mount that extend far enough to be mounted to the back wall to be able to project far enough forward to be outside the wall tiling to allow for mounting the TV.

The ideal outcome is to have the TV mount stick out between a small cut out portion of the tile to hold the TV. I believe I need to add an extension from the back wall for mounting to allow for enough extension on the TV mount to pass the tile wall. Would putting in a series of studs horizontally across the back studs with joists to extend the support towards the open space followed by new studs (secured to the top and bottom joists) be sufficient to support the TV? Do I need to build a small interior frame/wall in the cubby space to mount the TV? I am hoping to minimize the amount of tiles that are removed during the process having the TV cover the entire space when it is pushes back to the tile wall.

Any input on design or general ideas for completing this task is greatly appreciated! The attached picture is the only picture I have of what the space looked like before the tile was put over the area.

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 07-06-19, 05:29 PM
A
This is what the wall looks like now. This is not what the room looks like currently. This was the staged room when it was for sale.

Attached Images  
Old 07-07-19, 04:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Yes, mounts instruct you to put the mounting screws into the 2" ( 1 1/2" actually) side of the stud because it is much stronger in that direction.

You mentioned a cut out in the tile. Are you planning to remove the tile or do you want to mount it on the face without removing the tile? If you are removing the tile then it's easy since you can install studs wherever you need.

It's a shame they blocked off and tiled over the bottom compartment. That would have been great for storage or to put the AV equipment.

Old 07-07-19, 01:27 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
In this situation the strength of the wall will not be adversely different regardless of the orientation of the stud (end or side) assuming they were properly anchored to the surrounding structure!

Yes I know it's not the best way to frame!!

A 65" TV is not that heavy so if we can assume the studs were properly installed you will be OK!

Old 07-07-19, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Interesting..... I wonder how the short electrical wires were handled. Possibly some buried splices.
I agree with Dane...... what a shame to lose all that space below.

It looks like those are 2x8's which will give a +/-14" place to mount the brackets. That may not be wide enough. What is between those studs and the tile ?

Old 07-07-19, 08:27 PM
A
I believe that I will have to remove a decent amount of the tiles to get to the back of the wall assuming that this is the route I end up going. It does make me anxious about mounting with only 2 inches of grab with the bolts as I have two dogs and a young kid who like to play in the region the TV would be hung over. The warranty on the mount for failures says it is only covered with the proper installation which includes stud orientation. I also have some suspicion that the framing they installed may not be sound based other things we have found after living here for about a year. Any way to check this? I assume that framing they installed would need to be anchored into existing wall studs to be strong enough to hold the TV? I assume that there are going to be studs are the corners/edges of the cubby holes? If this is the case I assume I can flip the stud orientation so the 2 inch segment is facing outward?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the feedback!

Old 07-07-19, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Stud orientation is not really a problem. When the studs are on the 2x side...... you have to make sure you are 100% centered and typically you can only use four screws. With what you have there..... you can use more screws as you have a much wider mounting base. They can be shorter as they don't need to go as deep.

The problem there is how well were the 2x8's ? fastened to the framing.

Old 07-08-19, 12:19 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Any way to check this? I assume that framing they installed would need to be anchored into existing wall studs to be strong enough to hold the TV?
Any way to check, yep, but your going to have to pretty much tear out everything covering the wall to verify what was done.

You make a point, regarding other repairs, that is probably a good basis for what to expect.

Old 07-08-19, 06:04 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Looking at the before and after pics, what is that white "vent" in the middle if the tiled wall? If it's a vent or appliance receptical then there is more behind that tile than meets the eye and the 2 x 8 had to be cut to allow for it. There had to be a reason for covering that whole section. I see electrical outlets installed on the first pic. Are those outlets "live" or even connected to the fuse box? Before I would hang any appliance to that wall I would want to know what is behind the whole thing.

Old 07-09-19, 08:57 PM
A
It took me a bit to find it but I dug out a little snake camera. Kind of poor quality and hard to get good images. There are small holes on the top cubbies that run into the main cubby to pass AV wires through. This is what it looks like on the inside. It looks like they may have changed the framing from what the original picture showed. The box in the middle is an outlet that looks like the extended from the back wall.

Name:  b1.JPG
Views: 309
Size:  41.2 KB

Name:  b2.JPG
Views: 322
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  b3.JPG
Views: 315
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  b4.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  31.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-09-19 at 09:12 PM. Reason: resized/enhanced pictures
Old 07-09-19, 09:13 PM
Group Moderator
A receptacle..... buried in an inaccessible location is not a good start.

Old 07-10-19, 04:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Gees, not only is their a buried junction box but they plugged a cord into it to feed the new outlet. If you are truly concerned I'd start thinking remodel. If you've decided to pull down some of the tile then I'd pull it all down and plan on re-doing the center section. You can install studs how and where you want. Do the electrical properly and install doors so you have some storage. This would also be a good opportunity to incorporate a sound bar or built in speakers.

Old 07-18-19, 06:01 PM
A
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will likely tear it all down and start over. I will post photos when it is all done. It may take a while longer than hoped due to the extent of the work that needs to be done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: