Replace or build over metal window stool

Old 07-18-19, 07:45 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replace or build over metal window stool

Hi All, I've purchased a fixer-upper house with some weird window stools/sills I've never seen before. Basically it's a small metal stool with no apron. I'm planning to redo the window trim anyways, but I'm not sure if this stuff is part of the window (and shouldn't be ripped out) or just part of an unfinished trim setup and should pull right out.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? If I should build over it, should I just use adhesive or drill holes through it for nails? It appears to be about 0.100" thick so a nail gun won't go through it on it's own.

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 07-18-19, 07:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I can't get your pics to completely load

Old 07-18-19, 07:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Instructions for posting pictures are in a sticky at the top of every forum section.

Old 07-18-19, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I think it's just a cap someone fabricated. The window might be setting on top of it, so why don't you dig out the caulking where it meets the window and see if you can tell if it butts up to the window or if it goes under. If it goes under, you don't know how FAR under it goes, in which case you might want to leave it. You could lay the trim on top with some adhesive under it... the drill a couple pilot holes for a couple trim screws.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: