Attach countertop to vintage Crane cabinet

Old 07-28-19, 05:31 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attach countertop to vintage Crane cabinet

Hi

We have a 50s era steel Crane sink cabinet that we are going to put a new laminate countertop on. The question is how to properly fasten the counter to the cabinet. (As in what would the proper length and type of screws to use)

The counter sits fine without build-up strips and allows clearance for the drawers to open so if they aren't necessary to use I won't.

Name:  c1.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  74.1 KB

Name:  c2.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  72.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-28-19 at 06:00 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 07-28-19, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
There really is no need to have to use screws. Silicone in the corners can be just as effective.

Old 07-28-19, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I would probably use 1 1/4" long screws.

Old 07-28-19, 07:00 PM
L
Wood screws? Drywall screws?
I am not accustomed to securing things to MDF or particle board or whatever CustomCraft makes the counter from.

And I think 1 1/4 would penetrate through the other end.

Attached Images  
Old 07-28-19, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Well I can't exactly measure how deep your metal corner bracing is. 1 1/4" is what is traditionally used. You are there, maybe you should try measuring it. I would probably use a pocket screw because they have a flat washer head.

And your countertop is not exactly as you have it drawn. There are usually 3/4" fillers placed under the counter edges and perimeters. So you are screwing into something 1 1/2" thick, not just 3/4" thick.

Old 07-28-19, 07:21 PM
L
I took that image from the manufacturer's website.

This whole subject came up because almost all instructions and tutorials out there pertain to attaching these types of counters to wood or MDF cabinets. This particular Crane cabinet would have had their own enamel steel counter at one time that had its own attachment brackets since they were sold as a set. Sadly, that counter is long gone so I am trying to figure out how to approach this situation

Old 07-28-19, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Almost all cabinets have corner braces. Typically they are plastic and about 5/8" thick. Your corner braces are metal, unknown how deep. You haven't said.

Like I said, that is not a typical cross section. They have omitted the fillers... probably for clarity. So that is probably why you have such a question. You should be using fillers, period. You need fillers on the ends, which means you need them everywhere else. There is nothing to this, and I think I've answered your question. Anything further?

Old 07-28-19, 11:09 PM
L
You assume people here have experience on par with you. They do not.

I have no idea what a filler is. A google search for the term yields a page of seam fillers and similar products which I doubt is what you are talking about.

If a filler is a corner brace then there is nothing like that on the counter. its simply shaped MDF and laminate

Old 07-29-19, 04:26 AM
Group Moderator
That's why i asked if it was clear or if you had more questions. Your corner piece is in your first photo. You can put a screw up through any of those small holes. A filler is a piece of 3/4 thick particle board or mdf that is a couple inches wide. It goes on the bottom of your countertop every so often to make it a full 1 1/2 thick. Your countertop generally comes with them already attached. But if it's an option, you want them factory applied.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: