Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Removing bump out closest in kitchen and have cabinet finishing question

Old 10-19-19, 12:05 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We’re moving the washer and dryer from our kitchen to the basement and eliminating the closet in which they currently reside to open the kitchen up more. Basically, the wall will be flush with the edge of the cabinets now, along with removing the top wall above the closet. I’m curious how I should finish the crown molding though. If I remove the wall to be flush with the cabinets, the outward/upward angle of the molding will be sticking out past the wall. Ideas on how to finish this?

Here’s a photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BDQGW35fM3c3ja7t6

Old 10-19-19, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Ideally you would get more of that same trim, replace the piece above the doors and miter it so that it turns the corner and goes around the side of the cabinet.

Old 10-19-19, 02:34 PM
A
Sorry, I wasn’t clear enough in my description. That walk to the left of the cabinet will still be there, just pushed back so it’s flush with the cabinet.

Old 10-19-19, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Regardless, you can't miter the end and return it back to the wall without a new piece above the cabinet (it's too short to miter) and you will need an additional piece for the return. It's exactly the same thing, it's just that the piece on the side is only as long as the crown protrudes.

Old 10-19-19, 03:28 PM
A
Thanks, makes total sense!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: