Ideas for covering shelves of a flex wall

Old 10-23-19, 07:22 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ideas for covering shelves of a flex wall

Our son is moving into an apartment with some other guys. He has the 'flex' bedroom

(this is in NY City for those not familiar with dealing with overpriced small apartments : ) They build a 'temporary' wall to make the living room smaller and create a bedroom in the process.

This is not a complete picture of the wall (and the shelves have since been reversed to face the bedroom) but gives you an idea of the construction. It's actually 7' high in a room with 8' high ceilings - there's an open space above the wall / bookcase. And it's 71" wide.

I'm trying to think of simple, hopefully inexpensive ways to cover those shelves that will be filled with his clothes. And like not to have to do too much building / not make too many holes that he'll potentially get dinged for when moving out.

I am thinking a curtain rod with fabric hanging down is one way to do this.

Another woudl be sliding doors? Like on a closet? but typically the track would mount on the horizontal surface at the top of the door frame? 2 issues come to mind - 2) we don't have that vertical surface here - he doesn't want to mount the track to the ceiling. and 2) finding doors that are 7' high would be hard / expensive?

what about more standard height doors and leave the uppermost shelve(s) exposed?

and for the track support - screw a couple 2x4s into the shelves at each end / middle that stick out a couple / few inches. Then the track could screw into those 2/x4s or if need be, run a 2x4 under these extended pieces / parallel to the bookcase for the track to mount on?

And to lower the weight of the doors, what about some sort of plywood / melamine / other type of boards rather than a true door? At the top, screw the boards into a horizontal 2x3 for the hardware to mount onto?

and when moving out, he;'d have a couple screw holes he can caulk for each of the 2x4s that were screwed into the shelves?

Attached Images  
Old 10-23-19, 08:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,155 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
1. I wouldn't do anything. Just let the clothes on the shelves be visible.

2. My second choice would be some fabric to act as a screen or curtain.

I would not do doors. They are more work and more money and this is a rather temporary situation. Doors also require room to swing open and take up space when in the open position.

babaganoosh voted this post useful.
Old 10-23-19, 08:26 AM
B
thanks! I do like your #1 - much simpler.

just to be clear, I'm envisioning sliding doors, not hinged doors. But I do like to practice keep it simple!

Old 10-23-19, 11:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,155 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
The small amount of "home repair" work I've done in Manhattan really made me curse transporting big stuff. I don't fancy getting big sliding door panels in the subway. IKEA has a ferry to/from Manhattan that makes shopping easy but they don't do anything to get your stuff any further than the pier.

babaganoosh voted this post useful.
Old 10-23-19, 01:04 PM
B
Yeah, we'll have an SUV, but even still... there's no place to park a few minutes to bring things in. I don't know how people deal with it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: