How to Get Kitchen Cabinet Out

Old 11-30-19, 02:26 PM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Get Kitchen Cabinet Out

I purchased a new Samsung dishwasher a couple of weeks ago. The old one, a 30 year old Kitchenaid was still working but had seen better days! The old machine had connections at the front for everything. The new one has connections at the back for water supply and drain, with the electrical connection at the front right side.

Naturally I have had to modify the connections. Since the old washer was installed in a right angle counter return part of the kitchen counter with the back towards the open kitchenette, I could not leave the new one there since the hoses would have shown for anyone sitting at the table (not a pretty site). So I am trying to move a base cabinet from beside the sinks without touching the countertop and backsplash to fill the space the old dishwasher occupied (same size, almost) to enable me to install the new dishwasher where I am removing the base cabinet. To pull out the cabinet from behind the counter lip, I have made horizontal cuts, using a jig saw in conjunction with a jig I made for that purpose and an oscillating tool (at the very back), along the sides and near the top which will be covered by the sides of the drawer once it's all put back. I pulled out the bottom portion without a hitch. But I am now having some difficulty pulling out the top part.

So my question is this? What would make the top part of the cabinet appear like it is on hinges? It appears to rotate slightly up and down, but will not come out once it clears the counter top lip! There are no visible screws left on it. I removed two from the underside that were securing the top of the cabinet to the countertop near the back. There were two similar screws near the front and I removed those which have freed the front of the upper part of the cabinet. There are no visible screws securing it from the adjoining cabinet units anywhere!

quickcurrent

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-19, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
It's a little hard to picture how the cabinet is rocking without a photo description or at least not being the one who is pulling on it.

Face frames of cabinets are usually fastened one to the other with finish screws. Sometimes they are hidden behind hinges... sometimes the hole has been filled with putty making it hard to see. Not sure if that's it or not.

Old 11-30-19, 05:42 PM
Q
There are no screws behind hinges. I have taken off the doors and hinges and the drawer, including the drawer guides. All that is left of the cabinet is the shell - frame with bottom box and sides above that. The drywall forms the back. Of that, I have cut the sides and pulled out the bottom portion - bottom box and about 80% of the height of the sides. All that is left is about 5" at the top directly under the countertop. I see no screws left. The front rotates down just enough to clear the countertop lip and could be pulled out except - something at the back near the top is keeping the sucker from pulling out. But, again I see nothing that would be doing that as I have removed the two screws that I could see screwing the back to the under side of the countertop. I see no screws applied from the adjoining cabinets either. No screws were covered with putty of any kind. I'll see f I can get a photo, but not sure how that is going to help.

Old 11-30-19, 06:16 PM
Q
Name:  20191130_210726.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  3.77 MBHave a photo, but uploaded upside down, yet opens upright on my PC! The unfinished piece of wood at the back is where the two screws were attaching the cabinet to the under side of the counter.

Last edited by quickcurrent; 11-30-19 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-01-19, 04:56 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Show another pic from a distance showing the whole countertop.

Old 12-01-19, 10:30 AM
Q
Here is what was holding the cabinet part in place!

It seems the installers were to lazy too get their heads in the cabinets so rather than securing the cabinets to the wall with screws at right angles to the studs, they simply put them in from the top at 45 degrees! I had to pry out the cabinet part. :-(

Now I have to use my oscillating multi tool to cut off the screws. :-(

Attached Images