Cabinet Door Gap After New Hinge Installation

Old 04-21-24, 06:02 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

After refinishing old kitchen cabinets & replacing the hinges (visible hinges), a substantial gap exists between the cabinet door & the cabinet frame front. The cabinet doors donít have a squared edge, but rather an approximate, 45į beveled edge. What type hinge should I be looking for to remedy the gap?

Old 04-22-24, 05:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
Can you post a picture of the doors you want to mount. Also a picture showing the gap you want to get rid of.

Old 04-22-24, 07:49 AM
B

Enclosed is the hinge-producing gap & cabinet door. Iíve enclosed a picture of the backside of both the old & new hinges as well.

Old 04-22-24, 08:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
Did you purchase the correct offset? Face frame hinges are available with different offset amounts like; 1/2", 5/8" & 3/4"...

Old 04-22-24, 09:40 AM
B
Actually, Iím helping my stepson resolve this issue. He & his wife took the hinges to a small box, hinge hardware shop & were fit with the new hinge style. When I asked my stepson, if the word offset was mentioned during the service, no mention was made. The cabinet door covers the entire opening, itís the gap between the back of the door & the cabinet front, which is unacceptable. I watched a video detailing how to measure the offset/overlay. With the proper hinge, should the amount that the door overlaps the opening be symmetrical around the perimeter of the door? I ask, because itís substantially different. Also, would an improper offset contribute to the gap/ non-symmetry around the door?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: