Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Installing a single lower kitchen cabinet after countertops

Old 05-11-24, 01:09 PM
V
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am in the process of remodeling our kitchen. I reached out to a cabinet maker who can build a matching trash can pullout cabinet to fill in the hole to the right of the sink (dishwasher goes to the left of the sink). Unfortunately, he is very busy and its about 6 months out for him to complete but I do not want to use anyone else. I also need new quartz or granite countertops but would rather not wait 6 months for this single cabinet to be finished.

Does anyone know if its possible to install this lower cabinet after the countertops are installed?

If not, and I decide not to have the cabinet built, do you have any creative suggestions for filling in the gap to the right of the sink other than just leaving the trash can there on the floor? Perhaps something a bit more ascetically appealing since the sides of the undersink cabinet and lower corner cabinet are unfinished and visible to the eye (hard to tell in picture).

That said, having a cabinet would definitely be the preferred option (assuming the installation post counter is possible) but its nice to consider a backup option.

Thanks so much in advance.

Old 05-11-24, 05:29 PM
C
Received 186 Upvotes on 151 Posts
Have him build the cabinet box a little narrower than the opening but with the face frame extending past the sides of the cabinet so it ends up a little wider than the opening. Get yourself a set of ez-level cabinet feet that can be adjusted from the front or have him install leveling feet that can be adjusted through holes in the bottom of the cabinet box. Make a template of the opening using stiff cardboard or foam board and use this to mark the face frame for trimming. Trim the face frame just slightly oversize and use a sander or rasp to taper it slightly toward the back edge of the face frame. Adjust the feet so the cabinet is approximately the right height. Slide the cabinet in, mark where it's too tight, trim again and repeat until it fits snugly. Adjust the feet so the cabinet lines up with the adjacent cabinets and the face frame is flush with them. Fasten to the adjacent cabinets with trim screws through the face frame into the adjacent cabinets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: