Serratia Marcescens In shower grout

Old 03-19-16, 12:41 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Serratia Marcescens In shower grout

I have a carerra marble shower pan so I am very careful with my cleaning products. I have scrubbed with 50/50 Clorox/water till my arms are numb and I am not making progress. I had positive results using DuPont Stonetech Mold & Mildew Stain Remover from the shower pan but I wonder if that is due to the tile/grout being sealed.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images      
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-16, 12:32 PM
S
Nearly 100% bleach pumice and it barely (if any) made any progress. I am going to have all of the stained area ripped out and re-grouted. Should I seal the bathroom's tiles/grout? I've read every 6 months and then some say don't.

Old 05-22-16, 12:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
You could take a grout saw and remove some of the grout and then regrout. Grout sealer does help in keeping grout clean.

Old 05-22-16, 01:49 PM
S
That's the plan. I just hope the drying of the shower and the sealer every 6 months eliminates this problem.

Old 05-22-16, 05:26 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
It looks like the area under and over a shelf or bench (can't tell). It is possible you are dealing with soap scum that bleach will not necessarily tackle. A soap scum remover may help and then definitely sealing once complete. I know I tried numerous products in my shower for soap scum. Finally settled on Comet soap scum remover and it worked like magic. They make some grout cleaners that are enzymatic and work differently to clean the grout. They also make white grout pens that you can paint away your troubles in a pinch.

Old 05-22-16, 07:11 PM
S
I am guessing it is soap scum as well that started the Serratia Marcescens. I read quite a bit on this and the general consensus was that bleach would kill it but it would be difficult. Isn't Comet nothing more than bleach? I assumed if bleach won't kill than nothing would. I can try some Comet but the shower pan is Carerra Marble hex which I don't want to damage.

White Grout pen was a consideration but wife doesn't want it 'hidden' which is why she wants the suspect grout completely removed. I debated the white pen

Last edited by stickshift; 06-01-16 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Removed quoting of entire post
Old 05-31-16, 08:25 PM
S
I had a Angie's List A-rated company come in and regrout the areas last Thursday. I went away for Holiday and came home to the following pictures. I assume ALL of the grout was removed given their reputation so the only explanation is that the bacteria was BEHIND the grout and it is starting to come back through? Or all of the grout wasn't removed and it got mixed back in during the process?

Attached Images         
Old 06-01-16, 04:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
It looks like they just removed the loose grout and then just regrouted those areas .... or maybe they didn't remove enough grout before regrouting. What did your contract call for? Have you contacted them about the results?

Old 06-01-16, 08:20 AM
S
A "regrout" of the areas which should be complete removal and then apply fresh grout. They first said it could be a nail that is rust, hard water (I have a water conditioner), and then recently they said it was clay tile that could have caused it. I have ceramic tile. Unless the bacteria is BEHIND the tile and somehow oozing out or against the rubber shower liner than I am not sure how it could still exist unless it wasn't all removed. I am calling today for an update on how to move forward. If it is a regrout, I expect the finished product to look white (brand new).

Old 06-01-16, 08:34 AM
S
I spoke to the company and they said they would repeat the process for no charge. I am concerned that it will happen again. I am going to try soft scrub with bleach even though straight bleach did nothing. Should I have them remove grout and then go spray bleach, comet, etc. in the open grout lines and then have them immediately grout? Can you do that or does it need to be dry?

I looked at some project pictures and noticed rubber lining. Is the correct process to tile ON TOP of the rubber lining? I don't recall if they used backer on top of the rubber lining to make a smooth surface.

Old 07-20-16, 07:43 PM
S
I forgot to update the thread. The company repeated the grout removal and it looked white again... for a few weeks. It still looks white but I am started to see some slight yellow here and there. I literally use Soft Scrub with Bleach and completely dry the entire shower daily and I cannot keep it *WHITE*. My guest bathroom has the original grout which is still white after ~ 15 years. I wondered if this was due to my home water softener which removes chlorine but I would expect to see discoloration in the other bathroom and toilets. I actually ruined some of the grout as I used a brush to clean it and ended up ripping some out. What am i doing wrong here?

Old 07-21-16, 11:29 AM
S
Link to the photos showing the yellow grout -> https://www.flickr.com/gp/145332759@N08/v9Ws2L

Old 07-21-16, 02:13 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I would choose another method of cleaning. An abrasive cleaner like soft scrub with or without bleach may be leaving micro scratches in the grout which allow bacteria to grow. There are enzimatic cleaners on the market that may help. Then seal the grout to try to keep it white. If mold and mildew are issues, review the ventilation in the bathroom and or leave the shower door open after use to dry out.

Old 07-21-16, 07:51 PM
S
]Thanks czizzi. I will try a different method but I am not sure why it isn't turning white if I am using the cleaner daily, washing it down, and completely drying it. It is possible that scratches are being made but if it cleaned, watered down, and then completely dryed. Any ideas on products? Should I consider using an epoxy grout instead? Or TEC power grout?

Last edited by sagosto63; 07-21-16 at 09:23 PM.