Water-Based Wood Stain on Bluestone Hearth

Old 04-20-16, 01:16 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water-Based Wood Stain on Bluestone Hearth

Hi all,

Last night my husband was staining some floor trim around our brand new bluestone hearth, and despite taping the hearth, he was a little sloppy and some stain seeped underneath the painter's tape and onto the exposed front edge of the bluestone.

Any suggestions on how we might be able to get the stain off? It's a water-based stain/poly blend for wood. It's in small areas very close to the trim, to the point where I would probably have to use a toothbrush to remove it. It's not that noticeable, and we may be able to hide it with an additional small piece of trim, but I would rather not do that if I can get it off.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-16, 01:50 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is a product called Sure Kleen (something like that) which is sold at masonry supply yards.

Old 04-20-16, 02:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Products like 'goof off', 'oops' and denatured alcohol work well at removing dried latex paints, I don't know how effective it is with water based poly. Does the stone have any protective coating on it?

I'm not fond of using tape as it can give a false sense of security. When you must use tape it's best to remove it immediately which would have given you a chance to see/remove the errant finish.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: