Cracks in sink basin coating

Old 07-20-16, 07:40 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cracks in sink basin coating

I have a sink that has a plastic coating. I guess this is called a composite sink. There are cracks in the coating around the drain hole. Is there any way to fix them or make them look at least less bad? Thanks

Old 07-21-16, 05:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
It depends on exactly what type basin you have. I have seen plastic sinks in mobile homes and travel trailers but many "composite" sinks in homes are a cultured marble. With cultured marble there isn't really a coating. It's the same material all the way through. It's not an easy fix. I would just check underneath regularly for leaks. If it ever does start leaking then consider replacing it. But most cracking I've seen is only surface crazing where the cracks don't go all the way through. I've never seen one crack to the point of leaking.

Old 07-21-16, 08:41 AM
E
It definitely has a clear plastic coating and the cracks are superficial into the plastic coating. I'm pretty sure it's not cultured marble. I think this is some kind of composite resin sink with a coating.

Old 07-21-16, 09:09 AM
E
Maybe you're right. Maybe it is cultured marble and what appears to be a plastic coating is only the top part of the resin peeling up.

Old 07-21-16, 09:37 AM
There's no way to fix it that of know of.

If it is cultured marble, the cause of this cracking is Plumbers Putty was used on the drain. Silicone should have been used.

Plumbers putty will degrade certain plastics.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: