Oven Cleaning - Ammonia

Old 09-17-16, 04:33 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oven Cleaning - Ammonia

I've used Ammonia soaked in a towel then wrap the inside trays and racks in the towel, then place in a plastic bag for as long as possible. Then leave bag in the sun if possible for at least an hour.
However, can anyone tell me how to use ammonia for inside the oven? Do i heat up the oven first, then spray the ammonia inside the hot oven? Or do i leave a bowl filled with ammonia, cold, and just leave it inside the oven.
I have to get off heavy caking of carbon, grease and food stuff inside the oven, so im talking about a badly soiled oven here. Thanks

Old 09-17-16, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Do they sell a spray on oven cleaner in Austrailia? I'd imagine they do and you just need to follow the directions on the can!

Old 09-17-16, 06:09 PM
D
Hi, yep they do, but they are the foaming type ones. In my experience you end up with more mess to clean because mutliple rinsing is required to get off the film and residue from the foamed up substance. I looking for an alternative to these caustic sprays. Thanks

Old 09-17-16, 06:48 PM
From my experience, multiple rinsing will be required no matter what.
I clean with an SOS pad and hot water, it takes time but most anything should come off. Straight dishwashing detergent along with the steel wool will clean grease also, but will take many rinses.

It's easier if you remove the oven door first so you're not reaching in. Most ovens also have a removable bottom, let us know if you need help on how to remove any parts for cleaning.

Old 09-17-16, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I don't know how totally effective this method is but it is widely posted.

Clean your oven with an overnight pot of water and ammonia

Heat the oven to 150° F and turn it off. If you have a gas oven, turn off the gas and the pilot light. Place a pot of boiling water on the bottom rack. On the top rack.... put a heat-safe bowl or baking dish containing 1 cup of ammonia. Shut the oven door and leave it overnight.

The next day everything should be softened and removable using the same cup of ammonia, a few drops of dishwashing soap and warm water. Like Brian mentioned.... multiple rinsings will be required.

Keep in mind ammonia is a caustic chemical and gives off hazardous fumes. Proper ventilation must be used to reduce the smell and the effects of the ammonia.

Old 10-01-16, 04:38 AM
D
Thanks PJMAX I will give it a try, and thanks for replying

Old 10-01-16, 04:42 AM
D
Thanks Handyone I appreciate your help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question