Mushrooms in Bathroom Window

Old 05-03-17, 11:39 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mushrooms in Bathroom Window

Hey everyone, first time poster here. Just bought my first house 6 months ago and finding out the fun!

We started having mushrooms growing out of the bathroom window sill. It's a small sliding (take-out) window, but the previous owners never actually sealed around the bottom of the sill, so water was just getting down in there. Now we have mushrooms, so I took the piece of wood away that was the bottom sill and found more mushrooms and some very wet wood.

My questions are:
1) What do I need to do here? Can I just remove any visible mushrooms, apply bleach, let it dry out, and then cover it up? I really don't have the funds to be ripping out the whole wall and replacing the tiling too. Will that be OK or is this already too far gone?
2) How can I protect it better in the future? The window is sliding so it has a well, and I'm worried that water getting in there is terrible as well. Do we get vinyl blinds or a curtain or something?

Thank you in advance!
Name:  IMG_20170503_131059.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  33.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-17, 12:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
You need to figure out where the water is coming from. In a bathroom it could be coming from anywhere. Inside or out.

Old 05-03-17, 12:18 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I should have been more specific in my description (sorry!) but the window sill is actually getting the water directly from the showerhead spray (or ricochet from the body) so I know the water source. That's why my question 2 is how I can prevent water from getting at the window. But my question 1 is more do i/how do i clean the mold up and then do i just cover it up? It doesn't seem to be compromising things structurally so will it just dry out and be fine if I protect it from getting wet further?

Old 05-03-17, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 677 Votes on 626 Posts
Up to you how much you replace. Keeping it dry is the main thing in the meantime. Just put up a wall to wall shower curtain rod next to the wall and keep the whole wall covered during showers.

Old 05-03-17, 01:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
It's never a great idea to have wood inside a shower, unpainted wood is just asking for trouble
I like X's suggestion

Old 05-03-17, 03:57 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
I have a window in my shower. It's a vinyl window and I made a stainless steel trim assembly. The sill and window trim is all one piece with no seams and the end that meets the window is caulked. I can't say it's was cheap or easy but it works.

You can do something similar. Maybe make your window sill and trim out of non-wood materials like vinyl or stone.