Mold cross contamination and cleaning

Old 07-01-17, 01:33 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mold cross contamination and cleaning

I purchased a new home and took some items from the old home to the new home. An inspector for the buyer of the old home discovered mold throughout the old home, hence the items I took to the new home likely have mold on them. Note: This is a second home so I do not live there and have not been back since the mold discovery. We will be traveling there shortly so I am looking for advice on what to do with the items we took to the new home.

The items we took were TV’s, computer modem and router, clothes, towels, shoes, a painting, kitchen items (plates, glasses, small appliances (toaster oven, coffee maker), etc). If we look at the items taken to the other home is the mold visible to a naked eye (I believe the color of the mold on the walls is light yellow) and if we don’t see any does this mean there was not mold growth on that particular item? Can we clean these items and keep them or should we just throw them out? If we can clean, what should we clean the nonporous items with? Can we just wash clothes/towels in our washer and dryer? Will that contaminate the washer and dryer?

I assume there are spores in the home just from transporting these items inside. Is this a problem? Or is it only a problem if there is a moisture source for them such as humidity?

Old 07-02-17, 03:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Mold requires 3 things to grow; food source, moisture and heat - remove one and it won't grow. Mold spores are everywhere and for the most part no big deal. I'd clean everything and not worry, no need to borrow trouble

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: