Cleaning beige lacquered furiture

Old 09-16-17, 06:27 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cleaning beige lacquered furiture

My beige lacquer furniture suddenly looks like it has lighter colored drip marks down the front.
I have no idea what might have dripped, but I can't seem to clean them off. Does anyone have any ideas? So far I've tried a mild solution of Dawn in warm water and also a spritz of Green Clean, but it's had no effect. TIA

Old 09-16-17, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You could try denatured alcohol on a cotton swab, but my guess would be that you have a clean streak... and the rest needs to be "cleaned" as well.

Old 09-17-17, 08:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You could try applying any type of lubricant oily substance (petroleum jelly, furniture wax, liquid furniture polish etc.) and then let it sit at least 8 hours. If the water ring was not too pronounced, the water (moisture) under the finish will have been replaced by the lubricant you applied.

For the alcohol method, Make sure you keep the cloth moving and just try to skim the surface. BE VERY CAREFUL. Too much alcohol will dissolve a shellac finish and could damage a lacquer or water based finish. Start with a very small amount of alcohol on the cloth and add more if needed. Make sure you watch closely what is happening. You may want to test this process on an unseen area of the piece first to make sure it will not harm the finish.

A last resort is to buff out the area using a very fine polishing compound, like pumice stone or rottenstone combined with mineral oil.
The buffing is almost sure to be noticed and why it's a last resort.

Old 09-18-17, 08:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I normally use mineral spirits to clean lacquered surfaces.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: