Pot cleaning

Old 03-23-18, 05:24 AM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pot cleaning

Any suggestions to clean pots like this? I’m able to get the sides clean but the bottom is proving a challenge.

Are any of Ajax, Comet, Cameo, Barkeeper different from each other?

Thx

Attached Images  
Old 03-23-18, 06:05 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I've had decent results using a stainless steel scrubby of the type that looks like an extra-coarse steel wool pad. I never use one on the polished sides but do use on the inside & outside bottom if it's cruddy enough.

Old 03-23-18, 06:36 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
A spritz of oven cleaner, swirled with steel wool, let sit.

Aside from that I find that an orbital sander with ultra-fine grit is much easier.

Old 03-23-18, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Barkeepers Friend....make a paste of about 3-1 powder and water. Apply to burnt areas, scrub in lightly with non-scratch scrubby sponge...let sit for about 10 min, then scrub off. May take multiple applications with that pan, but works better than any other common method. Oven cleaner and sanding are pretty aggressive/harsh...but will likely work also. I'd try the BKF first and then use it regularly before the pan gets to that state again.

There are differences between BKF, Comet, etc. Some contain bleach (no help for the pan), some have more aggressive grits, some are more caustic like sulfamic acid. One is just soap, sulfamic acid and baking powder. BKF uses relatively mild oxalic acid which is often used to clean and brighten wood decks and a fine polishing agent.

They make commercial products like Carbon Off which will do a great job, but appear to basically be oven cleaners. I can't find an SDS for it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: