Mold smell from under sink leak

Old 12-22-18, 08:27 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Mold smell from under sink leak

I had a fairly large leak under my kitchen sink. Water was shut off to stop it. I sponged up the pool of water on the floor of the cabinet and the leak was repaired. Left the cabinet doors open with a fan blowing in to help it dry. Once completely dry I (finally) closed the cabinet doors. But it's a few days later and I still get that dirty water moldy smell .

My question - what can I do to eliminate the smell?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 12-22-18, 08:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
You likely still have a lot of moisture trapped in the space between the bottom of the cabinet and the floor. If you look the bottom of your cabinet is about 4" above the floor. Often with a leak the water drains from the cabinet to the floor below. Holes can be drilled or cut into the bottom of the cabinet to try and get some air circulating into that dead space.

Old 12-22-18, 10:37 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
A lot of cabinets are made from particle board, that stuff is like a sponge and will hold water for a long time.

If there was a way to get a small dehumidifier in the cabinet you need to really dry it out!

Old 12-22-18, 11:50 AM
C
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

Yes, the cabinet is made of particle board and a cutout part that allows the tubing to connect to the pipe extension that comes out of the wall did get wet, but feels dry now. Probably water also seeped below the floor of the cabinet from that same cut out section. Hopefully it can evaporate the same way it got in.

As I don't have a dehumidifier (only a humidifier, LOL) I'll try leaving the cabinet doors open till there's no more smell. With the amount of heat in the building the past couple days it shouldn't take too long - I hope!

Old 12-22-18, 01:51 PM
F
Do you Barbecue?

A bag of barbecue charcoal may help the situation.
In my motor home RV, I learned a neat trick to store an open bag of charcoal in the refrigerator when it is not in use. It absorbs odors and moisture, and does not seem to transfer to the steaks when we use it for cooking later...

Just throwing out a helpful suggestion to be considered.

Cheers!

Old 12-22-18, 02:13 PM
C
Thanks for the suggestion, I live in a city apartment - no bbq allowed, so no, I don't. But that gave me an idea - I put a box of open baking soda in the fridg to absorb odors. That may work under the sink too. Will get some tomorrow and try it.

Old 12-28-18, 08:09 AM
C
As a follow-up: I had a handyman come in to take off the kickplate under the cabinet floor. Turns out some wood at the back is wet and the cause of the odor. Will leave the kickplate off until it dries and no more smell.

Thanks Pilot Dane for your correct diagnosis!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: