Cleaning a Latex Mattress

Old 05-26-23, 04:49 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cleaning a Latex Mattress

What's the best way to clean a latex mattress? The kids mattress has a urine stain in it. Looks like it's been there a while as it's completely dried out. I noticed the smell when changing the sheets.
If it wasn't foam I'd tacjle it with hot water and stain remover bit afraid of damaging the latex. I've been reading that latex mattress is not waterproof. Is there any kind of dry cleaning technique???

Old 05-26-23, 06:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,009 Upvotes on 1,801 Posts
Most latex mattresses are open cell. That means liquids can penetrate deep into the mattress. I'd take the mattress outside on the driveway and use a pet urine cleaner to thoroughly soak the area. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so and thoroughly rinse. A spray nozzle on the hose might not be best. It might work better just letting the water flow through the mattress to wash away the dirt. Then, if you have a sheet of plywood lying around put that on top of the mattress and carefully drive over it with the car to squeeze out as much water as possible. If you can't drive over it stand it up somewhere and it will slowly drip and drain. Then put it outside on a sunny, breezy day to dry.

KirbyK voted this post useful.
Old 05-26-23, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks Pilot Dane. Much appreciated. I'll try using urine cleaner. Good shout, i didn't know there was such a thing. However, I'm nut sure about driving over it. Would that not over compress the foam? I might try standing on it with a firm plank of wood. Would that work too?

I've been looking up cleaning techniques online. But they say that timing is key. You need to get to the stain as soon as possible before it has set in. That ship has sailed unfortunately. The only 'dry' cleaning method I can see is using baking soda. Take a look here: https://mattresscomfortguide.com/how...latex-mattress But, I'd need to mix it with some water as the stain is completely dry now. Dry powder on a dry stain isn't going to achieve much in my view. Have you ever tried using baking soda on a foam mattress??

Old 05-26-23, 12:35 PM
Received 374 Upvotes on 324 Posts
Have seen carpets cleaned with a dry method that I think was baking soda based. The dry material is sprinkled on the carpet, brushed in, left for a while and then vacuumed out.

Spray a urine remover onto stain and then cover it with baking soda, brush slightly, let dry and then vacuum. The baking soda will absorb the moisture from the spray and may also absorb the odor.

Old 06-05-23, 03:31 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,248 Upvotes on 1,192 Posts
Give these methods a try but don't be surprised if you cannot remove all of the odor and end up replacing the mattress.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: