Removing motor oil from carpet?

Old 01-17-24, 05:21 AM
R
Received 5 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Removing motor oil from carpet?

Looking for a product or formula that will clean motor oil from carpet as completely as possible. Making it like it was never there would be ideal.

Thanks!

Old 01-17-24, 06:38 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
I use mineral spirits for petroleum based stains. As much liquid oil needs to be removed first as possible and not guaranteeing this will make it look like new - I've never managed to spill motor oil in the house (so far).

RobertP voted this post useful.
Old 01-17-24, 07:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
With anything you want to try, test it on a piece of carpet in a closet or somewhere out of sight. Some solvents and cleaners can leave a mark of their own.

Can you pull that area of carpet up so you have access to the back side? If you spilled much there may be a puddle underneath or the padding might be soaked. If there is soaked padding it would be best to just replace that area because you'll never get it out by working from the top side of the carpet.

I've used degreasers like Purple Power and Simple Green. I buy them in bulk concentrate so I can mix a stronger solution. Soak the area reasonably well and gently massage it but don't scrub because you don't want to fuzz the carpet. Then blot it up and keep repeating. I've also used a pet wet vac to suck up the cleaner instead of blotting.

Old 01-17-24, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 405 Upvotes on 332 Posts
Janie Stick works good on oil stains. Altho not 100% sure about motor oil, but does work on oil in general.

Old 01-17-24, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,140 Upvotes on 3,718 Posts
I spilled a quart of oil based paint on a good rug.
Right smack in the middle.
I used mineral spirits and the real key is what Dane said...
Then blot it up and keep repeating.
I used several rolls of paper towels.
Eventually used a small amount of rug cleaner to remove the mineral spirits.
Took several hours but came out acceptable.

Old 01-21-24, 11:06 PM
R
Received 5 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Per PJmax and stickshift:

mineral spirits
As an update I attacked that oil stain in earnest and mineral spirits did go a long way toward removing it. I confess however to not following PJ's directions - I used terry washcloths to aggressively scrub at it in different patterns - straight back & forth in different directions, circular, zig zags and moving to a fresh part of the cloth as it got soiled, moved to another cloth etc. really saturating the area.

Then hit it with various cleaners using a scrub brush - ZEP citrus degreaser full strength, LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner full strength, TSP, OxiClean. With each I further saturated the area with a sprayer using a solution of LA's and wet-vac'd it. Finally multiple passes with a Bissell Revolution 2X Pet Pro carpet cleaner using a cleaning solution with LA's, Tide Oxi, OxiClean.

It worked really well - there's just the faintest ghost of parts of the stain depending on which direction the carpet is brushed. Someone who didn't know what it used to look like and wasn't looking for it might not notice it at all. I might be able to get rid of even that faint trace by repeating the process maybe letting each cleaner soak longer but I'm pretty happy with the results as is.

Many thanks!

Last edited by RobertP; 01-21-24 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-22-24, 10:03 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
Thanks for posting back - it's not often we get to hear the results around here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: