Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Closets and Home Organization
Reload this Page >

Converting accordion bifold closet doors to sliding

Old 05-31-17, 04:18 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi, we have a small mudroom with a closet with bifold doors. Of course, as the door is opened it occupies floor space where toddlers, preschoolers are getting shoes on. Seems like I could convert the existing doors into sliders by putting a plate/ bracket on the back if the two bifold doors thereby making it one solid door and then I use sliding door hardware. Does this make sense? Am I forgetting something? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-17, 04:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Would it not be more efficient and economical to replace the bifolds with sliders?

Old 05-31-17, 06:46 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Makes little since.
Post a picture so we can see what your seeing.
A slider would cut down the opening space by at least 1/2 when trying to remove anything out of the closet.

Old 05-31-17, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
Old 05-31-17, 08:38 PM
G
Doesn't seem like it would be more economical to replace the bifolds with sliders which would involve buying two more doors (the sliders) relative to taking the bifolds that I already have and converting those into single doors.

Old 05-31-17, 08:51 PM
G
Thanks for your replies.

Doesn't seem like it would be more economical to replace the bifolds with sliders which would involve buying two more doors (the sliders) relative to taking the bifolds that I already have and converting those into single doors.

I understand that sliders will only allow access to half the closet at any time. We hardly open both bifolds at the same time anyway. Half of the closet contains items accessed frequently like coats. The other half contains less frequently accessed items. For us, the con of having the ability to access a larger portion of the closet is significantly less than the benefit of increased floor space that was occupied by the bifold door.

Old 06-01-17, 02:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Generally sliding door panels are 2 1/2"+ thick. Your bifold panels are about 1 1/4" thick. The bypass door hardware may not work well with the thinner door.

Attach a narrow strip of plywood at the top and bottom (inside) of the doors to stiffen each double panel. Make sure the top strip won't interfere with the bypass hardware hangers. You can attach a bypass header and foot keeper. Hang the doors on the header rail and capture them in the foot keeper.

Old 06-01-17, 08:03 AM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
To Consider

Sliding doors generally over lap at the center when fully closed. Your bifolds will not be wide enough for an overlap unless you add material to one or more of the edges.