Shelf support advice needed

Old 08-16-19, 02:42 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Shelf support advice needed

I had a pantry built by a carpenter who made boxes of plywood and then installed them in. To support the shelves, he drilled small holes and then gave us the pins that go into the holes. All was well for a few months. Now, one after another the shelves are dropping. I mean the pin sags and the shelf drops. In one instance, the pin ripped the plywood.

This is a pantry. Lots of cans and jars that have quite a weight. It is intended for those purposes.

I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I need to do something there that will allow me to do it in such a way to put the shelves back. I know we can put a supporting piece of wood on each side and be sure of it. The problem is, this in an awkward corner and if I attach wood shelf supports, one of the shelves will not go in.

Of course the carpenter that did this is long gone. This is now a dyi project.

please help.

Name:  p1.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  p2.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  p3.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  p4.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  31.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-16-19 at 05:52 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures

Top Answer

08-16-19, 06:57 PM
XSleeper
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
To add to what Pete said, if the sides of the cabinet are bowing out you need to add a fixed shelf in the middle... a non-movable shelf that is screwed to each side to prevent the cabinet from spreading.

Also, judging by the right side of the photo, those shelves are probably tremendously overloaded and are bowing under the weight. If that's the case you would either need to be more reasonable in how much you put on a shelf (this ain't a steel grocery store shelf!) -or- use thicker shelves that won't bow, -or- get more shelves so that you have a shelf every 6", and don't have any with double decker products on them.

I think Norm's solution and Pete's shelf supports are both good ideas too. I use the exact same shelf supports that your carpenter used and have never had a problem with them.

Out of curiosity, how wide are those shelves on the left? Shelves that are too wide ought to only have light items on them.

Old 08-16-19, 02:49 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
That type of construction is not sufficient for pantry storage of canned goods for that type of material. to fix it you need to put full supports (perhaps a 1 x depth of cupboard) on all three sides of each shelf. You will not be able to change shelf height after.

Old 08-16-19, 02:55 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thank you. bad news. any other possibility?

Old 08-16-19, 05:00 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
The fix is rather easy. All you need to do is screw 1 x strips on each side and the back to support the shelf. Cost would be less than $25 for wood and screws. We can draw a diagram if you're not sure as to what I mean.

Old 08-16-19, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
The problem is that the side walls of the pantry must be bowing out. Those slide-pins in plywood can take a lot of weight as long as the shelf fits tight...... side to side. I'd imagine the shelves have excessive room now.

If the shelves are a tight fit side to side....... redrill new holes and use more supports. The supports in the picture below are better if the shelves fit a little loose. The supports must fit tight in the hole.

Name:  shopping.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  3.8 KB

Saphira2021 voted this post useful.
Old 08-16-19, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
To add to what Pete said, if the sides of the cabinet are bowing out you need to add a fixed shelf in the middle... a non-movable shelf that is screwed to each side to prevent the cabinet from spreading.

Also, judging by the right side of the photo, those shelves are probably tremendously overloaded and are bowing under the weight. If that's the case you would either need to be more reasonable in how much you put on a shelf (this ain't a steel grocery store shelf!) -or- use thicker shelves that won't bow, -or- get more shelves so that you have a shelf every 6", and don't have any with double decker products on them.

I think Norm's solution and Pete's shelf supports are both good ideas too. I use the exact same shelf supports that your carpenter used and have never had a problem with them.

Out of curiosity, how wide are those shelves on the left? Shelves that are too wide ought to only have light items on them.

Norm201, Saphira2021 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: