Hanging a Wall Mount Entertainment Center

Old 02-07-23, 10:04 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hanging a Wall Mount Entertainment Center

I have a wall mount entertainment center (similar to the picture below) that I am trying to attach to the wall. Now, the attachment points on the unit don't align with the wall stud spacing, first of all. Also, the wall studs aren't centered around the TV either.

The only idea I can think of is to attach something like a 1x6 board onto the wall (at the studs). The entertainment center can then be screwed onto the board to ensure it's centered with the TV. Is there a better solution that anyone has tried before?

Thanks.

Old 02-07-23, 10:47 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Damn studs are never where you want them.

Unless you can relocate the attaching points of the wall unit to align with the existing stud locations then your suggestion might work.

Your probably going to need a 2x6, a 1x6 isnt thick enough to allow something to be securely bolted too. Your also going to have to deal with the fact the unit is now 1.5" away from the wall.

Old 02-08-23, 03:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Instead of a 1x6 or 2x6, I'd use aluminum French cleats. Half is attached to the back of your cabinet, the other half to the wall studs. Low profile. The studs not being centered on the TV is irrelevant as long as you can attach to 2 or 3 studs, that is all it needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Al...gion_id=373786

Old 02-08-23, 10:18 PM
J
XSleeper,

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll definitely check this out. The one issue with the entertainment center I got is that it's backless for a good portion of the middle section. I can only attach these to the far ends and the right side barely overlaps with the stud. But I'll see if I can make it work - even if I need to add a piece of wood (small piece) to give it some support in the back.

Old 02-09-23, 12:58 AM
J
I searched for French cleats and found one that was long enough to be mounted as a single piece to ensure I can slide left and right without worrying about the top cleat dropping off. A lot more expensive but looks much more sturdy and accident-proof. Thank you both for the suggestions.

Old 02-19-23, 10:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If house is new being built and they know there going to hang a large tv or something on wall before drywall they notch out studs 3/4 inch then instal 3/4 inch plywood. Then drywall over it gives a lo tof movement to install. French cleats are a good idea

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: