Unusual telephone wiring

Old 06-29-16, 05:30 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unusual telephone wiring

Good evening,

Just recently moved to Pennsylvania and am working on getting the apartment ready for my fiance (we are getting married in less than a month). I went online and got Internet service through Verizon.

I got the router in the mail today, went upstairs, opened it, and set to work installing it.

Or rather, I started installing it, but very quickly realized that there is no phone jack anywhere in the apartment.

After a good bit of looking, I did manage to locate a wire that I assume is a phone line. However, it seems a little unusual to me, in that it only has three wires (red, yellow, green). Also, it seems like maybe the copper is a little thick for a phone line, but I honestly have no clue if that makes a difference.

I started doing a bit of research on the Internet here at the local library, and have been unable to find anything on this particular problem.

Can anyone tell me how to set up a phone jack using this particular wire (assuming it can be done at all)?

-TG

Name:  IMG_20160629_182146476.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  18.0 KB

Old 06-29-16, 05:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Connect a phone to the red and green wires and see if you get a dial tone.

That type of phone cable hasn't been used since the 1950's or 60's. How old is the apartment building?

That cable for the most part predates modular jacks. Most phones were hard wired. That would explain no jack but I find it hard to believe that even if the cable was still in use a modular jack hadn't been installed or perhaps one for the jacks that predates modular. Maybe one of the tenants took the jack or it is an abandoned cable. It is important to check it for dial tone before connecting the modem to be sure it is a live line because its age makes it suspect.

Old 06-30-16, 04:02 PM
T
I would definitely not be surprised if the apartment building predated the 50's or 60's. The apartment itself was recently remodeled (new paint, carpet, etc), but the building itself could easily be that old.

I will try connecting the wires to a phone and see how it goes.

Old 06-30-16, 08:39 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I may have given bad advice. You may not have a dial tone with Verizon. Really not sure how Verizon works. You will need to ask Verizon. Limited Googling tells me at least in some types of Verizon service you do have a dial tone.

Old 06-30-16, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
If you are a new customer at that address and just establishing service.... Verizon should not have just mailed you a router. Verizon is responsible for service to the Network Interface Device.
They usually come out to at least verify service at the NID.... unless they've already done that.

Old 06-30-16, 11:35 PM
T
Verizon is indeed sending someone tomorrow.

However, when I called about this particular issue - at that time, being unaware that there was a phone line the apartment - they told me that they would charge me $100 for running a line and then for the installation of a phone jack inside the apartment.

This seemed incredibly steep to me, so, upon finding the wire, I just decided to try and do it myself. That's when I posted here to the forum.

Given the fact that the wire is here in the apartment, I'm hoping that they won't charge me the $100, since they won't have to actually run a line - it exists already.

I don't think I will have a choice if they do, unfortunately, because there is no dial tone on this particular 65-year-old line.

Old 07-01-16, 12:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
They are responsible to the NID where their wire connects to yours. At the installers discretion he can connect your wiring for you.

100.00 is not an excessive amount of money if a new line needs to be run and a jack installed.

Copper lines are in short supply. When a customer cancels service.... his copper lines are up for grabs for anybody that needs them. Your installer will be told where to find your phone service. There is a very good chance it's not even live at your premises yet. It may not even be to your street yet. He may need to re-route/cross connect wiring to get you service. Pretty complicated.

Old 07-04-16, 05:54 AM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
Have you found the other end of that cable with red/yellow/green wires?

If you don't have (land line) phone service yet, the installer will at your option install a minimal connection ending in a Network Interface Device box with an exposed "modular" phone jack into which you can plug in a standard modern phone cord such as from a Princess phone. You can then string your own phone wiring from there starting with a "phone extension cord." The installer may or may not put the NID close to where old phone wiring ended.

They make wall mount adapter boxes, typically less than 2 inches square, including one with four screw terminals inside (labeled R, Y, G, and B) for red, yellow, green, and black and a a phone jack or short cable end with phone plug on the outside. You only need the red and green if you use the phone wire you have pictured and are connecting one phone or phone line.

To use a router and if you signed up for internet, your phone NID will be more complicated than a NID for s single (voice) phone, will have a jack (possibly of a different style) for the router, and will will require AC electric power.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-04-16 at 06:13 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: